I have a Bottleneck question.
What are two possible remedies for a disk subsystem that is the bottleneck in a servers performance. This is a question in a Windows Server 2003 text book, entitled, "Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment", chapter 3. I can't find the answer in this book.
June 13th, 2010 7:50pm

Hello, disk problems can be solved with: adding additional harddisk and split the data between them to reduce read/write performance on them use faster harddisks then the installed ones use a RAID to replace single harddisks or add additional disks to an existing RAID But depending on the server hardware sometimes this isn't effective and you have to replace the complete machines. BTW, seems that we should do your homework, if i see all your questions posted form the book. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2010 12:17am

Hi , You need to understand 2 aspects here a) applicatins which are interacting with the driver b) drivers which are interacting with the storage. c) Storage itself A bottleneck would be anything which has to do with writing the data to the disk, and reading from it, being said that the I/O operations when combined with the hardware. One thumbrule is you cannot write data directly onto the disk without using an application / driver. So next you would target at the storage which becomes the heart of the converstaion. this might include LUN , RAID , RAID 0 , RAID 0+1, RAID 5 ( which includes mirroring , stripping technologies ) S0 3 factors you have keep in mind is a) data loss / corruption b)time to access the data between app to storage for the counters which are most effectively observer you can launch start --> run --> perfmon and check the disk counters which should give you clear understand of the the counters being observerd in the event of bottlenecks.
June 14th, 2010 6:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics