I can browse to file but not access with full unc via DFS Namespace

Hi,

We are using Windows 2008 and have replication between 2 servers.

We are using a namespace "\\domain.local\all\Training Matrix\DB_Docs" where we store our employee training records.

We have an application that opens these documents using 'process.start' with the UNC of the doc. (Which worked fine until today)

Today this stopped working and was saying the document does not exist.

I opened up file explorer and I could browse to the file using the namespace UNC and I could open it.

If I went to run and put the full UNC with the file name in it said the file did not exist again.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards

Phil

June 27th, 2013 5:11pm

Hi Phil,

So the folder of the file could be accessed via DFS namespace, but it cannot be directly opened with the full DFS namespace path with the file name.

Please check if the file could be accessed via \\server\share instead of using the DFS namespace. Meanwhile I noticed that there is a "space" in the namespace. Please check if quotation mark is missed while accessing it via full DFS namespace.

You could also try to remove it as a folder target ad readd it as a test.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2013 4:40pm

Hi.

This seems really strange. I would browse to the file and then draw the file to the emptied textbox in the "run window" (Win+R).

You could then copy the exact path and compare it to your applications path. I guess somebody did a small "correction" somewhere and changed a . to a , or something small that you missed.

July 1st, 2013 12:52am

How are things going? Please let us know if there is any progress.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2013 5:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics