I can't find the Windows updates I downloaded to install them.
I go to windows updates page and download all of the the new updates. When it is time to install most of them fail to install. Some I have come across on accident and installed them manually, following the "readonly" documents. But now my computer will not run very well at all. I am running windows 2000 off of an HP Omnibook Series xe3. If anyone knows where or why my computer is hiding and not installing the updates that would be really helpfull.
October 14th, 2009 10:00pm

HiThis is the Expert Solutions for Unable to install the Windows Update:To resolve the issue with Windows update, perform the following: Open C:\WUTEMP folder and delete the contents of the folder (If any files exist). Go to "WindowsUpdate" folder in "Program Files" folder, and delete all the contents except the "V4" folder. NOTE: "WindowsUpdate" is a hidden folder. Highlight the "V4" folder, then click Edit from the menu bar at top of the window and choose Invert Selection. If you cannot locate the "V4" folder, please skip this step, and then continue to delete the rest of the files by choosing Select All instead of Invert Selection. If you see the V4 folder, open it and delete all the contents of it except the "iuhist.xml" file. Also, delete all the contents of the C:\WUTemp folder. Once after deleting all the files, you need to unregister the old control. Follow the below mentioned steps: Click Start, Run.Type: "regsvr32 /u C:\WINNT\System32\IUCTL.dll" (Without Quotes. You should get an unregistered successfully message.) Find the old site controls and delete the same. Ensure that you don't have "IUCTL.DLL" and "IUEngine.dll" files located in the system. Restart Windows and try accessing Windows update. If the issue still persists, you can download the iuctl.cab file and update the existing files. Proceed with the solution recommended in the following knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836986 Save iuctl.cab, and extract its contents into a folder. You will get the copy of iuctl.dll, iuengine.dll, and iuctl.inf files. Right-click on iuctl.inf and select install. This will install the new iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll. Open Internet Explorer, clear out temporary internet files, and access Windows update.Thanks......Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 15th, 2009 12:24am

Hi nikkintony253,i am interested to know why were the updates failing ?, what was the error message ? , please understand as a system administrator / engineer you wouldnt bother much into the dll aspects, but the updates has the dll / sys file versions which gets updated. And an improper installation might lead to many problems. sainath !analyze
October 15th, 2009 4:05am

Hi, What’s the error code you received when installing updates? Based on the current situation, please try the following suggestions to troubleshoot this issue: Suggestion 1: Re-register Windows Update components =================================== 1. Click on Start and then click Run, 2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and press Enter. 3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message, click OK. 4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands: REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL REGSVR32 ATL.DLL REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL Please check if you receive any error when trying to re-register these components. If not, please try to visit the Windows Update site again. Suggestion 2: Rename the temporary folder of Windows Update. ======================================== 1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Type in "net stop WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter. You will receive a message stating the Automatic Updates service was stopped successfully. 2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter. 3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold. 4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Type in "net start WuAuServ" (without quotations) and press Enter to restart the Automatic Updates service. Suggestion 3: Check the local Windows Update services =================================== 1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK. 2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates". 3. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic". Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service. 4. Please repeat the above steps with another service: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) If the issue persists, in order to perform further research, please assist me in collecting the following information. How to collect System Information: =========================== 1. Click Start, Run and type in msinfo32. Press OK. 2. On the popup window, on the menu bar, click Action, click “Save as system information”, click "Desktop" on the left pane, and type "NFO" as its file name. 3. Please find the file "NFO" on the Desktop and send it as an attachment to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=7fb3b63b-323b-4d3c-b232-ec2650b4e420 Password: z*PIt#a6^GB56%WF How to collect the Windows Update log file: =========================== Note: There are two Windows Update log files with similar names, we will be using the "WindowsUpdate.log" file without a space in the middle of the name. 1.Click on Start, Run and type "WindowsUpdate.log" (without the quotes) 2. Click on the OK button. We will see a file named "WindowsUpdate.log" 3. Now click on the "File" menu and then click on the "Save As" and select "Desktop" in the "Save in" option on the top of the window. 4. Click on the Save button. The file will be saved to your Desktop. Please send the file as an attachment in an email to https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=7fb3b63b-323b-4d3c-b232-ec2650b4e420 Password: z*PIt#a6^GB56%WF Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 15th, 2009 7:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics