I am trying create an ODBC connetion for SQL Server 2012 but test result failed.

I am using Windows 10 and trying to create and ODBC  on SQL Server 2012 for Oracle/MySQL but test result reads "TEST FAILED" as seen in the inserted images. Please note that I am following a book that is using SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008. Therefore, I am not knowledgeable about some other technical details. Please see the below images for some information that MAYBE helpful and I will appreciate your help in solving this.

August 21st, 2015 3:52pm

Try specifying your instance name.

If you don't know your instance name, check the running services. It'll be in there.

server\instance

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 4:38pm

can check can telnet port number ?

August 21st, 2015 9:23pm

Hi Patrick,

I had a typo with the server/instance name and later made the correction but encountered another problem as seen in the screen shot below: I also created another login with a different name(e.g. VRG-User1) but had the same result as the one below.

Screen shot for server name instance.

August 22nd, 2015 8:41am

Check the file named errorlog in your SQL Server installation. This has the exact reason why the login attempt was refused.
August 22nd, 2015 10:04am

Hi Tibor,

My system was set to Windows authentication mode and I had to switch to SQL Server and Windows authentication mode and also change the user(VRG-User) password. I appreciate your help.

August 22nd, 2015 12:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics