ISE hangs after password screensaver

Hello,

I have the ISE installed on a 2003 R2 Standard member server Proliant DL380 with 3.5 GB RAM.   I screensaver password lock the machine after 10 minutes of non-use.  It seems that 90% of the time I log in after a screenlock the ISE is in an unresponsive state.  I have to end the application with Task Manager.  It seems to do this even if I just open the ISE without performing any type of scripting.  This occurs while using a domain admin account.  It also occurs if I 'Run As" administrator.  The machine is primarily used for Symantec Enpoint Protection Manager controlling all my clients as well as receiving SNMP and NETFLOW streaming from all my equipment for traffic graphing using PRTG Traffic Grapher.

Has anyone heard of this problem?

Thanks,

Michael

May 12th, 2011 8:39pm

No, sorry, I've never heard of this problem before.  Is the server possibly low on resources?  I know the screensaver can take an abnormal amount of resources.  The troubleshooting at this point could get a bit involved, and might not actually result in a solution since we can only rely on tools that are available like at sysinternals.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 16th, 2011 3:19pm

Thanks for the reply Marco,

ISE is currently hung up again.  My resources seem fine.  Task Manager tells me I have 2/4GB available Physical Memory.  Only 20,000 Handles, 1100 threads and 71 processes running.  200GB free on HD.

I have reinstalled Windows Management Framework (Windows PowerShell 2.0, WinRM 2.0, and BITS 4.0).  I have also recreated my profile on the machine.  Is there anyway to increase any type of ISE logging?  I see nothing at all in my logs except the Provider Lifecycle Events at startup and the Application Hang event after I kill the process.

May 18th, 2011 7:27pm

There isn't any built-in advanced ISE logging.  I might try the sysinternals.com tools like Process Monitor.  Beyond that, the next step is to attach a debugger to the process, but again, even if we find a problem, we are a long way from trying to find a solution if there's a memory leak or something else somewhere.  This being 2003 will also not be in your favor...

May 19th, 2011 1:02am

Hi all

Did anyone ever make progress or find a solution to this?  I'm having the exact same problem on my Windows 7 machine.

• Edited by Heyyo37 Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:03 PM
May 30th, 2012 5:02pm

I have yet to find a solution for this problem.
May 30th, 2012 5:18pm

That's unfortunately for both of us.  Thanks for letting me at least
May 30th, 2012 5:21pm

I'm experiencing Powershell ISE V3 freezing on windows 8 when left idle for a period of time.  Sounds like it may be the same root cause.  I would really appreciate a solution because having to kill the process in the midst of an editing/debugging session is extremely frustrating
May 7th, 2013 4:40pm

I'm sorry to hear that wbs55 but not surprised.  I have yet to find a solution to this problem.  I had to move my scripting to a Windows 7 client machine.

May 7th, 2013 4:57pm

I found Powershell ISE V3 exhibited the same behavior on Windows 7.  That's why I gave Windows 8 a try.
May 7th, 2013 5:50pm

Similar issues on Windows 7 with ISE V3.

I'm often using ISE to run git commands and have that posh-git extension installed.

It usually freezes at least once every 24h. Once frozen one has to kill it using task manager.

Trying to focus the ISE window just gives a system beep but the window remains hidden.

It's a bit like it's stuck in a modal dialogue which is not showing.

October 14th, 2013 10:16am

I also have this problem. I'm running PowerShell v4 on Windows Server 2012. I have noticed that it tends to lock up especially when I am using Windows Forms objects.  Anyone have a solution for this?
July 18th, 2014 10:19am

If ISE hangs after using a Windows Form dialog, please check out this Connect bug and vote if it applies to you:

https://connect.microsoft.com/PowerShell/Feedback/Details/1224213

The bug manifests itself only after a WM_SETTINGCHANGE broadcast message is received, which may very well happen when a password screensaver is unlocked.

April 4th, 2015 8:48pm

If ISE hangs after using a Windows Form dialog, please check out this Connect bug and vote if it applies to you:

The bug manifests itself only after a WM_SETTINGCHANGE broadcast message is received, which may very well happen when a password screensaver is unlocked.

April 4th, 2015 8:48pm

• Edited by Arnoud Jansveld Sunday, April 05, 2015 12:46 AM add clickable link
April 5th, 2015 12:45am

I too am having this issue while using windows forms object in ISE. I have reproduced this issue on both Windows Server 2008r2 and Windows Server 2012.

Does anyone know if Microsoft ever provided a solution to this issue?

April 7th, 2015 4:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics