ISA,VPN,& RDP
We have two site that are both running ISA 2006 standard They both can VPN into each other but if I try to connect to a server at the remote location using Remote Desktop after I establish the VPN connection, it fails to connect. If I bypass the local ISA server with a router I can VPN into the remote location and use Remote Desktop just fine. Can anyone Help? Thanks.
November 7th, 2009 8:53pm

this is actually little information to start with. But I understand that you can dial a VPN connection from outside (from the internet) into one of the ISA servers, right? The VPN server is the ISA server, right? In that casethe connection would beinspected by the ISA server in question and you would need tocreate an AccessRule on the affected ISA server which would allow the RDP traffic to pass from VPN Clients (the built-in network object) to Internal (the other built-in network object).ondrej.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2009 1:08pm

Hello, Thank you for your post here. Agree with ondrej that it seems the ISA server block the RDP traffic from the VPN client to the internal network. Here is the detailed steps to create access rule for RDP traffic. In the ISA 2006 management console,, expand the array name, and then click the Firewall Policy node. In the Firewall Policy node, click the Tasks tab in the Task Pane. On the Task Pane, click the Create Access Rule link. On the Welcome to the New Access Rule Wizard page, type a name such as "Allow RDP from VPN clients to internal" in the Access Rule name text box. Click Next. On the Rule Action page, select the Allow option, and then click Next. On the Protocols page, select the Selected protocols option from the This rule applies to list, and then click the Add button. In the Add Protocols dialog box, double-click the RDP server entry, and then click Close. Click Next on the Protocols page. On the Access Rule Sources page, click the Add button. In the Add Network Entities dialog box, expand Networks, double-click VPN clients, and then click Close. Click Next. On the Access Rule Destinations page, click the Add button. In the Add Network Entities dialog box, expand the Networks folder, and then double-click the Internal entry. Click Close. Click Next on the Access Rule Destinations page. On the User Sets page, accept the default entry, All Users, and then click Next. On the Completing the New Access Rule Wizard page, review the settings, and then click Finish. Click Apply to save changes and update the configuration. Configuring ISA Server 2006 Firewall Rules http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc539142.aspx if the issue persists after you add the access rule, you may collect a live log on the ISA server to identify which rule blocks the RDP traffic. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
November 9th, 2009 1:29pm

Thanks for your help, The way I was able to get it to work was to make a L2TP Site to Site connection between the two locations versuses just a VPN connection between my desktop and the remote location.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 16th, 2009 2:51pm

Hi, Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that things are working correctly for you now. Please do not hesitate to post in Technet Forum if you need any assistance in the future. Thanks.
November 19th, 2009 2:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics