IPv6 only?
Hi, I'm using Longhorn server build 6001 in a Domain with Windows Vista Clients. Is it possible to use this domain only with IPv6? I created DHCPv6 Scopes and DNS Entries, but It seems that I have to give the server itself a static IPv4 address, is there a way to prevent this? thx, IT-Shrek
March 27th, 2007 12:47pm

Hi, You can have only IPv6 network. You don't need assign a static IPv4 address. Instead assigning Static IPv6 address will all the purpose. Which module is asking for static IPv4 address. Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 28th, 2007 9:14am

Hello, thank you for your answer! For starters, dcpromo.exe in GUI mode reports an invalid IP configuration with only a static IPv6 address. Sincerly, Shrek
March 28th, 2007 10:37am

Hi Shrek, I just got the confirmation from the corresponding team. You can ignore for time being, IPv6 Only environment should work perfectly. Thanks
April 10th, 2007 7:57am

Hi, i just tried, in a virtual environment to setup an IP6 only AD with two w2008 boxes but it failed. 1- disabled ipv4 in both machines. 2 - confirmed connectivity between machines (ping ok) using the autoassigned link local addresses 3 - installed DNS in first box and manually created the Primary Zone and AAAA recordes for the two machines. (Got warning that DNS should not be installed without a static address) 4 - At the dcpromo got the same above warning but continued anyway. End of DCPROMO i got the error "NAming Information cannot be located....reason: Server is not operational Now At logon i have to enter DomainCredentials but if i try to start any AD tool (ADUC, ADDS) i get the same above error thanks
August 19th, 2010 4:11pm

I have never tried this, but I would not use link local addresses, just as I would not use APIPA addresses in IPv4. Static means static! Bill
August 20th, 2010 9:58am

OK, i followed your advice: 1- I run NETSH INTERFACE IPV4 UNINSTALL on both machines (confirmes uninstallation of IP4 with Ipconfig, thoough the checkbox in the adapter's properties remains checked) 2- I assigned both machines a ULA address: netsh interface ipv6 set address “lan” fdb2:bd39:a46c::1 and fdb2:bd39:a46c::11 (guessing they were correct, in the same subnet) 3- run netsh interface ipv6 add dnsserver "lan" fdb2:bd39:a46c::1 to add dns server on 2nd machine ADDS role and Dcpromo run without a glitch. No major events in Event Viewer. Anyway, i wanted to test DHCPv6 for the Vista client but i cannot even install the role. I get the warning that it needs a static ip address (which now i have as DNS and AD installed without a problem). If I "Continue anyway"i get stuck at the "Ipv4 DNS settings, where i cannot even skip the page by hitting next. All other options are grayed out. Any consideration about it? Thanks btw for the correct help and answer on previous issue
August 20th, 2010 11:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics