IPv6 - PING: transmit failed, error code 1231.
I have set up a small network to test IPv6. I have a couple of servers and clients running in a virtual environment and some clients running on physical computers. All computers get their IP address from DHCP. In the virtual environment everything about IPv6 seems to work as expected. But on the physical computers nothing seems to work (except DHCP). If I try to ping form a physical computer I get this error: "PING: transmit failed, error code 1231." What could be wrong? All servers are WS2008 RTM and clients are Vista and Vista SP1.
February 19th, 2008 2:10pm

If I add an IP address manually using "netsh interface ipv6 add address" on one of the physical computers it starts to work. Does adding an address manually also set other parameters that the DHCP config does not?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2008 2:23pm

It seems that the DHCPv6 server doesn't send what space (/64, /48) it should be using. I'm currently stuck with the same problem: DHCPv6 works Clients get IPv6 addresses from the server Clients can ping their own IPv6 address Clients cannot ping any other IPv6 addresses in the scope
August 31st, 2009 6:39pm

Hi,very nice, it works for me like this as well.Thanks Tore85!Just two questions left:1. what is "man=en and other=en" ? - I didnt need this I think.2. My DHCPv6 Server was configured with a static IPv6 address of course.But when restarting the machine it gets two addtional IPv6 addresses.One of the two addtional ones has a lease in the DHCP addresses (so it seems to be assigned by the DHCPv6 it self).The second additonal one - no idea?!But the one is used for name resolution.When I ping the DHCP from a DHCP client it will not resolve the static IP it resolves one of the two IPv6 addresses which have been generated automatically.Can somebody explain this behavior?For better understanding the IPv6 configuration of the DHCPv6 server itself (stateful mode):Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DC Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : azure-corp.local Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : azure-corp.local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : azure-corp.local Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-64-CE-00 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:db8:1234:5678::2(Preferred) IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:db8:1234:5678:9829:b13c:bf6c:421c(Preferred) IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:db8:1234:5678:c0d0:588d:c3b7:731b(Preferred) Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:37:28 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:37:27 PM Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9829:b13c:bf6c:421c%11(Preferred) IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.137.2(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234886493 DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-6C-2D-D8-00-15-5D-64-CE-00 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:db8:1234:5678::2 127.0.0.1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List : azure-corp.local Tunnel adapter isatap.{1393D377-C106-44C7-809C-6F23D0761932}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : azure-corp.local Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : YesThanks very much!Best regards,Florian
November 14th, 2009 2:57pm

The suggestion provided by Tore85 works like a charm. A few comments though: If you want to apply a more precise routing rule instead of a 64 CIDR block, you can use the CIDR calculation tool at http://www.dnscrawler.com/tools.php#calculators . In case you want to only use the last 4 positions of an IPv6 address for your local network (should be enough as it provides you with 65,536 addresses) you can use a CIDR of 112 thus making the add route fc00::192:168:0:0/112. This allows you to use IPv6 addresses in the range of fc00::192:168:0:0000 to fc00::192:168:0:ffff. The fc00::/16 block is reserved for internal networks, so perfect for a LAN. For my client to correctly pick up these advertisements by the DHCPv6 server, I had to apply the following commands on my client: - netsh int ipv6 set int [index] routerdiscovery=enabled - netsh int ipv6 set int [index] managedaddress=enabled You can find the [index] of your network card by executing: - netsh int ipv6 show int The Idx column will list the network cards index number. Do note that these two settings are the default settings, but because I had been playing with these in order to get the DHCPv6 to work, I had to configure them back to these settings. So first try Tore85 his tips on your DHCPv6 server and if that does not work, you may want to try the two commands here on your client. For completeness, the following shows all of the parameters on my IPv6 enabled internal NIC on which it works successfully now. You can execute netsh int ipv6 show int [index] to output a similar list for your current NIC to compare with these settings. Interface Local Area Connection Parameters ---------------------------------------------- IfLuid : ethernet_5 IfIndex : 11 State : connected Metric : 5 Link MTU : 1500 bytes Reachable Time : 22500 ms Base Reachable Time : 30000 ms Retransmission Interval : 1000 ms DAD Transmits : 1 Site Prefix Length : 64 Site Id : 1 Forwarding : disabled Advertising : disabled Neighbor Discovery : enabled Neighbor Unreachability Detection : enabled Router Discovery : enabled Managed Address Configuration : enabled Other Stateful Configuration : enabled Weak Host Sends : disabled Weak Host Receives : disabled Use Automatic Metric : enabled Ignore Default Routes : disabled Advertised Router Lifetime : 1800 seconds Advertise Default Route : disabled Current Hop Limit : 0 Force ARPND Wake up patterns : disabled Directed MAC Wake up patterns : disabled .NET Software Developer (MCP)
April 2nd, 2010 10:37am

7mra :D
May 24th, 2010 9:11pm

hello, this 1024::/64 setting relates to your machine/network or any?? i have a fdb2: etc etc /48 ntwk....would it be the same for me? tks
August 26th, 2010 12:15pm

Having both Router Discovery (for the route) and Managed Addresses (for the DHCP options - IP, DNS, domain) work, but like Flo.W. _ I am getting IPv6 addresses from both DHCP and the route advertisement. Has anyone found a solution to only get the IP from DHCP and still get the route to work? Mark (Zombie)
September 12th, 2011 7:04pm

Mark, did you ever work this out.. i have exactly the same problem on my network i found the following article that seemed to suggest you need to configure the ip6 routing information into the router/switch if it supports it: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/setting-dhcpv6-dynamically-issue-ipv6-address i have a dell powerconnect 6248 but i dont know how to do it. thanks jack
December 3rd, 2011 4:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics