IP registration with dynamic DNS
Did something change in Server 2008 in regards to dynamic registration of records in DNS. I have a Windows Server 2008 computer with two IP addresses assigned to one adapter and both addresses are being register in DNSwith the computer's name. This was never the case in previous versions of Windows Server. Ihave web servers that have multiple IP addresses assigned to one adapter for the purpose of multiple SSL web sites. Those servers only register the "main" address in DNS. The other addresses, which are assigned to other host names (not the computer name), are not registered in DNSwith the computer's name. So if someone connects to the server using the host name, they would only hit the "primary" address (the address listed on the main TCP/IP page).The strange thing is, the check box has always stated"connection's addresses"...plural.My 2003 computers neverregistered the other IP addresses in DNS. Anyone have any idea what is going on between the two versions?
July 2nd, 2008 7:52pm

I have a similar question. (sorry I didn't find your post earlier) http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserverPN/thread/ea886f41-af0f-4bd8-90ba-c32e3a0e77f9Someone told me this wouldn't happen and I see two A records have been created. The only real difference between him and me is I'm using 2008. Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2008 8:14pm

I am glad to see someone else has acknowledge this behavior. I still have not come across any helpful information. As a workaround, I disabled dynamic DNS on that particularinterface andcreateda static hostrecord for just the one address.
August 27th, 2008 11:25pm

Yeah, thats probably what I'm going to do too. Or move the "primary ip" to a dedicated NIC, and stack the other IPs on a 2nd NIC, which will have registration disabled. My group has tested this on 2k8 vs 2k3 and the behavior has definitely changed. I can't find any real info though... Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator
August 28th, 2008 7:43pm

I can shed some light on this. Here's the points of interest:1. You are both indeed correct. It DOES behave differently. They will all register.2. This is by design rather than a fault (I've had this confirmed by Msft engineering)3. The TCPIP stack was totally rebuilt for Vista and 2008 Server (the whole IPv6 thing etc). Now, a single IP transport supports multiple layers which simply means there is no longer a 'Primary' address in the way we all learnt on 2K, 2K3 etc. So, if you assign multiple IP address to a NIC they are treated evenly (even though the interface still is like in 2K3 where you put the first one on the main properties page, and subsequent ones on the advanced page). 4. This poses a significant issue if you want automatic registration. Why? Because one is chosen essentially AT RANDOM from a user perspective. Yes, it is confirmed as by design, and no, I don't like it personally - we lose too much control.5. The obvious solution is disabling registration on the NIC and creating a manual entry.6. The other theoretical way is to register the required IP automatically, then disable automatic registration after that initial registration and add the additional IP addresses. Msft suggested to me this would work, but personally I've had a few odd thigns happen with that.So basically, I suggest going with manual entry into DNS. It's the only way to get the control you need really.CheersNathan Y: MCSE: NT4, 2K, 2K3; VCP; CNA; CPSA; EMC SE; Security+
July 1st, 2009 10:40am

Thanks for your comments! We finished this project last year, but what I eneded doing was using two NICs. left normal registration on the first NIC and added all the IPs I didnt want registered on the 2nd NIC and disabled registration on the 2nd NIC. This worked well and I would use this approach again. Mike Crowley A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
July 1st, 2009 4:31pm

I'm glad I found this post - I was wondering the exact same thing on my new 2008 web servers. I've noticed other interesting quirks with DNS resolution, too. I used to be able to create a bogus A record that would resolve a real-world name to a different address - to get around some firewall issues. Doesn't work anymore. eg. domain is company.loc I want to change www.site1.com to point to a specific IP. I'd add www.site1.com.company.loc and when the calling server would try www.site1.com it would append .company.loc automatically and get the right IP. No more.
November 5th, 2009 7:06pm

I am also glad I found this post. We experienced the same issue. Wetried to disable DDNS registration on the NIC with multiple addresses. When we did this it worked for a while except that every hour or so the static address we added would just get deleted. Removing the address related for the main name for the host. We have some intranet servers that have multiple addresses and host sites off of their main name and some off of their aliases. We fixed it by adding deny rights on the static DNS entry.
November 17th, 2009 4:36am

it looks like you can change this behavior now. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=975808 All IP addresses are registered on the DNS servers when the IP addresses are assigned to one network adapter on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Vista SP2
November 18th, 2009 7:52pm

it looks like you can change this behavior now. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=975808 All IP addresses are registered on the DNS servers when the IP addresses are assigned to one network adapter on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Vista SP2 Nice find.I was able to getthe server from my original post down to one address, so I no longer need this. I willtry it out if something comes up though. IexpectMSto roll this into a feature update or service pack.
November 19th, 2009 12:55am

Does anyone know if there is a hotfix for Windows 7/Server 2008 R2? I now have a need for this feature and netsh in Server 2008 R2 does not include the skipassource flag.
March 19th, 2010 10:01pm

Interesting the skiassource doesn't exist, but that KB came out after Windows 7. Have you tried installing the hotfix onto Win7? Perhaps they just need to update the KB article to include 7/2008r2 unter the "applies to" section?Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
March 20th, 2010 12:35am

Yeah, I tried it on 2008 R2, but no go. It says that it doesn't apply to the system.
March 20th, 2010 5:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics