IPV6 issue, clinets with a static IPV6 can ping, clients with DHCP address cannot ping

Hello all,

I will try my best to explain. I setup a test IPV6 Windows 2008 DHCP network. I have one DHCP server and 2 DNS servers and a domain called ipv6.com. If I add a machine to the network I see that it picks up an address from my DHCP server. It will show it in client in the DHCP address leases section. When I try to add a machine to the domain it fails. If I assign a static one I'm able to add it to domain. The static one client can ping other machines in the network but the one with a dhcp address can't.

I think it's possible that we didn't setup DHCP role properly. Out network doesn't have a router, the network is setup through VMware with a VLAN switch. Should the DHCP setup be stateless or stateful mode? Basically, disable DHCPv6 Stateless Mode? I think I read someone at one point where if you enable stateless mode then your clients can ping anything because it's meant for IPV6 DHCP routers.  

This is an isolated network and the traffic doesn't need to be router to the outside.

December 14th, 2011 11:04pm

I have exact same issue. What boggles me if I Static ASSIGN a specific IP i can ping DC's and other things on network,  IF i use DHCP to assign the Exact same IP but in a reservation i cannot ping anything.

I setup dozen scopes and excluded all but last octet still can not get it working.  has to be static to function;

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 4th, 2015 2:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics