IPV6 clients cannot ping each other while getting IP from DHCP server running in windows 2008

I have two windows 7 clients and a windows 2008 server connected to a switch with static IP 172:16:5::1/64.

DHCP server is configured with static IP 172:16:5::20/64

when i statically assign IP to windows 7 clients like 172:16:5::21 & ::22, they can ping each other. if they get ip from DHCP server, they cannot ping each other.

if i configure the gateway (172:16:5::1) in the clients manually, they can ping each other.

is there any way we can make dhcp server to give gateway to the clients along with IP?

• Moved by Tiger Li Friday, June 08, 2012 12:49 AM (From:Network Infrastructure Servers)
June 7th, 2012 7:14am

Hello,

plesae post an unedited ipconfig /all from the problem machines here, once with DHCP enabled and once with static ips. But as they are all in the subnet a missing default gateway is NOT a reason for not working ping command.

The DHCP scope options, No. 003, is the way to configure the router for the clients.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 7th, 2012 12:55pm

Yes, it's a simple scope option: 003 Router.
June 8th, 2012 1:55am

The original post is referring to IPv6 and not IPv4. 003 - Router is for IPv4.

I can't find an IPv6 router DHCP option either. I think it either needs to be hardcoded on the device, done with a route command or advertised from a router.

June 24th, 2012 2:01am

I am having the same trouble
April 10th, 2015 4:24pm

From what I have gathered:

IPv6 won't route because the DHCP server is setup in 'stateless' mode and the switches do not support IPv6. ( "But if your routers are not IPv6 supported (yet), you can reconfigure DHCPv6 to Disable Stateless mode, and that'll issue IPv6 addresses that will eliminate the Ping problem." - http://www.networkworld.com/article/2228461/microsoft-subnet/setting-up-dhcpv6-to-dynamically-issue-ipv6-addresses-in-a-network.html)

So you must change to 'disable stateless' mode. Which the only way I can THINK to do this is to uninstall DHCP and reinstall DHCP and select 'disable stateless' during the installation (which I haven't confirmed). (In case, Disable DHCPv6 stateless mode for this server option was selected duringrole installation" - http://blogs.technet.com/b/teamdhcp/archive/2009/03/03/dhcpv6-understanding-of-address-configuration-in-automatic-mode-and-installation-of-dhcpv6-server.aspx)

zz.. but my understanding of DHCP is fragmented, please take what I find with a grain of salt. I am off to reinstall DHCP :] .. fun.

April 10th, 2015 4:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics