IOs RD Client 8.1.0

And here we go AGAIN! the RD Client has been updated to version 8.1.0 and again from outside the network no connection possible anymore.

previous version did work ok, no problems at all.

sad, it looks like every update is breaking something, our customers depend on it.

if it keeps being this buggy maybe we have to revert back to Citrix than...

please fix this.

September 8th, 2014 7:52pm

A URI Scheme becomes an error. 

version8.0.8 OK.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2014 5:23am

Ykamakama,

Can we solve this ourselves?

September 9th, 2014 6:06am

Danny230681

How did it do? 

It will be an error by an argument. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/ja-jp/library/dn690096.aspx

Please teach me a way. 

version8.1.0NG

version8.0.8OK

• Edited by Ykamakama Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:26 AM
September 9th, 2014 8:12am

Ykamakama,

Ok so we just have to wait for an update of the client than?

September 9th, 2014 1:45pm

Same issue here with IOS devices. Please FIX or Recall the app ASAP! Why is this so difficult to test anything before sending it out the door? This was a really good solution for remote access to internal applications over SSL from IOS devices, now it just does not work at all. Please test updates and do not make this a common occurrence since you took over control of this app. 

Please also write a review in the app store to get more notification of this issue. 

• Edited by Pbarks Tuesday, September 09, 2014 3:26 PM added last line
September 9th, 2014 2:00pm

I have the same problem. 100 ipad could not connect to remote apps. The funniest thing its the rdclient android never work before. And now its work and not on ios. look i write this post few month ago and the problem solved on android now and come to IOS....

GOD HELP ME I HAVE 100 students not able to work!

Android CRASH

sorry for my english!

September 9th, 2014 2:05pm

Well I have 300 students with Ipads, and I guess the IPad Update them self. Anyway, my Mobile Phone ran out of battery after 4 hours of workday. My Day has been a nightmare...
Sorry my bad english...I am tired:-(
September 9th, 2014 2:22pm

Ask your 300 student to go on twitter and tweet that!

@microsoft @technet @technet_france

#RDCLIENT 8.1.0 FAIL

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/51318cca-9006-4399-83dc-71575413c1f8/ios-rd-client-810?forum=winRDc&prof=required

September 9th, 2014 2:27pm

We have 100's of remote desktop users on PCs/ laptops / iPads. Today, our iPads and iPhones stopped connecting after the 8.1.0 RD client update. Our URL is not recognized.  Actual error:  "Unable to connect to remote PC.  Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled., the remote PC is turned on and available on the network, and then try again."  From the LAN we're fine.  From the WAN, the error occurs.  Tried deleting and reinstalling client, researched downgrading - no copy available, tried other RD clients offered in app store, searched event logs.  Is Microsoft going to fix this client?

• Edited by techkat2 Tuesday, September 09, 2014 8:04 PM
September 9th, 2014 2:59pm

I found a hint in TerminalServices-gateway log on the rd gateway server. When user log from Android i see that in the log

Android:

Lutilisateur domain.local\username de lordinateur client 10.0.0.1:54109 a tabli une connexion sortante. Il se peut que cette connexion ne soit pas encore authentifie.

IOS/IPHONE/IPAD

Lutilisateur school.local@username de lordinateur client 10.0.0.1:54109 a tabli une connexion sortante. Il se peut que cette connexion ne soit pas encore authentifie.

The IOS RDCLIENT APPS replace "\" for "@". And it is why he not work i think!

Any have idea to fake that! Look in yours logs...

September 9th, 2014 8:36pm

Inspired by last comment i tried using credentials with at in between username and domain instead of domain\username. Still not working.

This has to be fixed ASAP.

September 9th, 2014 9:14pm

We are working on a fix for NTML auth for HTTPS GW setups. Expect an update shortly.
September 9th, 2014 9:34pm

rdp:// launched the app with 8.1.0 but gave an error. This will be fixed in 8.1.1. Expect an update shortly.
September 9th, 2014 9:34pm

Version 8.1.1 will have a fix for NTML auth for HTTPS based GW, hopefully this will fix your issues. Please share more about your setup as this will help us address your specific issues.
September 9th, 2014 9:36pm

Is shortly a few hours or a few days or...? We have clients that are trying to connect to an RDS collection on 2012R2 server using iOS with RD Client 8.1.0 and its behaving like the servers aren't there. Same settings on an android device work fine.
September 9th, 2014 11:05pm

Do we know if this is going to be released today?
September 10th, 2014 2:05am

I have been using this app for some time now and thus far, it has worked as well as expected. Since 8.1.0, we are unable to connect to Feed on Server 2008 R2 RDWeb/Gateway server. Similar setup with 2012 seems to work as expected. Error reported: "The publishing server has encountered an error, Please try again." Setup includes 1 RD Session Host and 1 RDWeb/Gateway. Behavior is the same internally and externally. 2012 setup includes RDFarm with 2 Session Hosts, 1 Connection Broker, and 1 RDWeb/Gateway. Anxiously awaiting the u

September 10th, 2014 2:47am

If possible can you please verify the Remote Resources URL is the full URL including the page extension:

e.g. https://server1.contoso.com/RDWeb/Feed/webfeed.aspx

If not can you try removing and re-adding the Remote Resources.

September 10th, 2014 5:27am

If possible can you please verify the Remote Resources URL is the full URL including the page extension:

e.g. https://server1.contoso.com/RDWeb/Feed/webfeed.aspx

If not can you try removing and re-adding the Remote Resources.

I can view what resources are available, but can't load any applications. - please roll back to the previous version Microsoft and test your apps prior to release.
September 10th, 2014 5:56am

I noticed another fantastic thing:

With the new 8.1 version i cannot connect using 3G on an iPad but i can using a WIFI connection.

The fun thing: on the remote app i have published (IBM Client access) the keyboard is not sending the keys to the app!!!! Previos version worked greatly. 

PLEASE FIX THIS TOO i have users hunting my head from this morning

September 10th, 2014 6:27am

I can connect, but i had to disable channel binding on my RDG, method two at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903333/en. But now every connection to every RemoteApp asks for credentials, even though it is saved in the "new improved credential management". This release should be recalled immediately.
September 10th, 2014 11:28am

The RD Client for IOS prior to yesterday's update required us to enter the URL of our webfeed as https://gateway.business.org.  The field would then auto populate with the rest of the URL https://gateway.business.org/rdweb/feed/webfeed.aspx.

With the 8.1.0 update, we've tried various versions of the URL including IP number, with the full URL including /rdweb/feed/webfeed.aspx, with :443 embedded.  We've deleted and reinstalled the client.  We've searched the internet for a downgrade but all links point back to the Apple App. Store with version 8.1.0. 

We're running a 2012R2 Gateway/Licensing/Web Access/Connection Broker server with load balanced 2012R2 Session Host servers. 

We've also tried log-in credentials using both user@domain and domain\user.

From the WAN, the webfeed brings up the published application icons and then prompts again for credentials on the user account that was set up with 'saved' credentials.  This is another issue - being reprompted to enter credentials.

After re-entering the credentials, Work Resources page shows "connecting and launching published app..."  Initiating remote connection....

After waiting over a minute, the RD Client for IOS produces "Unable to connect to remote PC.  Please verify Remote Desktop is enabled, the remote PC is turned on and available on the network, and then try again."

We've successfully used the Microsoft RD Client for iPad and iPhone since the spring of 2014 and up to yesterday's update.  We're at a standstill - we have iPads in place for parents to check their children in/out of daycare centers.  Back to "pencil & paper" until a fix comes through.

PS I also tried adding the disable binding registry entry on the Gateway server as mentioned above in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903333/en, but it did not resolve. However, our Gateway is in production with hundreds of users and I did not reboot the server after changing the registry.  Unsure if rebooting will resolve the issue.

• Edited by techkat2 Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:40 PM
September 10th, 2014 1:03pm

MS any news when this will be fixed? I suggest to do a rollback to the previous version if the new version would take longer than another two days - there are too many people around the globe affected by this bug.

September 10th, 2014 6:30pm

You do have to at least restart Remote Desktop Gateway service, otherwise that registry setting won't be efective. Everything you pointed out is true:

- Now the full WebFeed URL needs to be provided (https://gateway.hostname/RDWeb/Feed/WebFeed.aspx). Previous versions only required to provide RDWeb URL (https://gateway.hostname/RDWeb)

- There is an issue with '\' being replaced by '@'. Using the user's UPN should help with this issue.

- There's as issue with NTLM authentication from IOS devices. It seems that NTLMv1 is being used explicitly. With Channel Bindings enabled at the RDG server, the authentication will fail, since channel binding is not possible with NTLMv1. I really don't remember if this was as issue on previous releases, since Channel Bindinds were disabled on my other servers because of some old XP machines. But the only way to get the connection to work from an IOS device on a new server I got up last night was, for me, to disable channel bindinds at RDG server and restarting Remote Desktop Gateway service. After that, the users could authenticate again. If that's your case, you will see something like this in your RDG logs:

Apllication Logs, Event ID 313, TerminalServices-Gateway

The user "user@domain", on client computer "X.X.X.X:YYYYY", has initiated an inbound connection. This connection may not be authenticated yet.

Security Logs, Event ID 4625, Microsoft Windows security auditing

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: An Error occured during Logon.
Sub Status: 0x0

- And even after all those workarounds, you will be prompted for you credentials again while starting the RemoteApp. You can provide and store you credentials 'till you fingers hurt, both as DOMAIN\user or user@domain, and it will not be saved. You will need to provide them everytime an RemoteApp is started. That I'm sure that is new, since it did not happen on previours verions. Probably related to the NTLMv1 stuff.

Any ETA on that 8.1.1 version with all those bugfixes?

• Edited by Giovani Moda Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:40 PM Typo correction
September 10th, 2014 6:37pm

No update in almost 24 hours on this. Can we please get an ETA on resolution or roll back of this update?

September 11th, 2014 4:38pm

Completely broken connections to remote apps. I have users that rely on this app and they are now all over me since the update! Removing bindings through a reg hack on the GW box seemed promising but has not been a stable fix. Please roll back to the previous version until the bugs are sorted out! You are killing admins out here in the real world!
September 11th, 2014 6:40pm

Same problems as everyone else. I was getting ready to buy additional CALs to expand my deployment today, but now I'm looking at other options. This is ridiculous.

When will a fix be released? 

September 11th, 2014 7:27pm

I can connect to the "Remote Resource Feed" using the long url, but when I click on any of my applications it times out and give the error.

I don't see any eventid 313 in the application logs on the gateway.

At the same time, I can go through the gateway to a PC using the app just fine.
  • Edited by ka1sersoze Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:11 PM
September 11th, 2014 9:08pm

The OP didn't mention RemoteApp specifically, so I'm posting this here...I'm just trying to connect to our network, either internally or externally, using the Microsoft iOS 8.1.0 RDS app via RDP, port 3389.  Luckily I haven't told many people that this was working at all, because now every connection attempt yields the error, "Your session ended because of an error. This might be due to an expired password. If this keeps happening, ask your admin or tech support for help."

We are running our RDS Gateway server on 2008 R2, no passwords are expired, but I have found that the domain admins can use the app if we enable "Admin mode" under the server properties in the app.  This is the only way to get a connection now, but I'm not sure what level the person needs to be an admin to use this feature.  I made a user a local admin of the Gateway server, but it will login to the desktop, actually show the "welcome" screen, except it says, "The requested session access is denied". The TS-Gateway Operational log happily says, "User xy met resource authorization policy..." and 60 seconds later says, "User xy disconnected, transferred 673 (or more) bytes, and client session duration was 60 (or less) seconds".  No errors, lots of information.

We do have a CA certified SSL cert in use, but I don't know how to configure RDS Gateway without SSL to see if the new "support for secure gateway" is the root cause of the issue in 8.1.0.  We had been using 8.0.6 and it was working great with the SSL config we have in place for the gateway server.

September 11th, 2014 9:37pm

Hi. I don't know if you'll respond to this or not. I can log in although the app will not keep my credentials anymore. That's not my issue though -for the moment anyway. My issue is that my cursor has disappeared and as I'm using an ipad it means I cannot use the RD client at all. When will 8.1.1 be released please?
September 12th, 2014 4:17am

Thank you Giovani Moda for your response.  Per your suggestion, I did disable Channel Bindings on our Remote Desktop Gateway 2012R2 server last night and restarted the Gateway service.  The 8.0.1 IOS client now launches the published application from the webfeed on the iPad (after entering credentials twice), but alas, new issues have cropped up.  The published app (a childcare time clock) no longer launches in full screen mode (enlarging the app using the toggle enlarges the time clock so that you only see a few inches of the top left screen).  Also we are mysteriously getting disconnect notices while launching (another new problem):  "someone else connected to the remote PC.  try connecting again later."  We have several users sharing this published app and we have never seen this error before.  Only on the 8.0.1 IOS client.  We are currently going to manually downgrade our IOS devices due to desperation.  Our users are very frustrated and stating "we are waiting on Microsoft to fix their software" is no longer an acceptable response.

• Edited by techkat2 Friday, September 12, 2014 12:46 PM
September 12th, 2014 12:44pm

I don't know what the heck is going on now. Suddenly the RemoteApp doesn't even try to connect anymore. In a split second it complains "We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on adn connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled". It's not even trying to connect. No changes were made, both at the device or the servers. I've tried reinstalling the app to no avail. Anyone else seeing this?

BTW, an Android device, right next to my IOS, on the same network, accessing the same remote resource, happily connects. No errors, no credentiais reprompt, nothing, it just works as it should. By the way, Remote Desktop Client for Android is still at 8.0.8. So please, PLEASE, do not update to 8.1.0 at Google Play.

------

I figured out why I coudn't connect today. I have a setting at my firewall to reject connections on port 3389 from the WAN to improve speed for the RemoteApp access, since it will first try a direct connection and only after a timeout it will fallback to using Remote Dektop Gateway. 8.1.0, all of the sudden, does not like to have it's connection to 3389 port rejected, so it will not even fallback to  Remote Desktop Gateway. Disabling my firewall rule fixed the issue I had today. Since it's something very specif, I don't expect anyone else to see this. But I'm posting it, juts is case.

• Edited by Giovani Moda Friday, September 12, 2014 4:29 PM Fix found for new problem
September 12th, 2014 3:43pm

You do have to at least restart Remote Desktop Gateway service, otherwise that registry setting won't be efective. Everything you pointed out is true:

- Now the full WebFeed URL needs to be provided (https://gateway.hostname/RDWeb/Feed/WebFeed.aspx). Previous versions only required to provide RDWeb URL (https://gateway.hostname/RDWeb)

- There is an issue with '\' being replaced by '@'. Using the user's UPN should help with this issue.

- There's as issue with NTLM authentication from IOS devices. It seems that NTLMv1 is being used explicitly. With Channel Bindings enabled at the RDG server, the authentication will fail, since channel binding is not possible with NTLMv1. I really don't remember if this was as issue on previous releases, since Channel Bindinds were disabled on my other servers because of some old XP machines. But the only way to get the connection to work from an IOS device on a new server I got up last night was, for me, to disable channel bindinds at RDG server and restarting Remote Desktop Gateway service. After that, the users could authenticate again. If that's your case, you will see something like this in your RDG logs:

Apllication Logs, Event ID 313, TerminalServices-Gateway

The user "user@domain", on client computer "X.X.X.X:YYYYY", has initiated an inbound connection. This connection may not be authenticated yet.

Security Logs, Event ID 4625, Microsoft Windows security auditing

Failure Information:
Failure Reason: An Error occured during Logon.
Sub Status: 0x0

- And even after all those workarounds, you will be prompted for you credentials again while starting the RemoteApp. You can provide and store you credentials 'till you fingers hurt, both as DOMAIN\user or user@domain, and it will not be saved. You will need to provide them everytime an RemoteApp is started. That I'm sure that is new, since it did not happen on previours verions. Probably related to the NTLMv1 stuff.

Any ETA on that 8.1.1 version with all those bugfixes?

This got me going today.  I was on the same path as you, with the NTLM and and Channel Bindings, but did not get to trying them at the same time before I got to your post.

After setting NTLM reg key to a value of 3, and the Disabling Channel Bindings, it seems to be in working order.

September 12th, 2014 3:46pm

I don't know what the heck is going on now. Suddenly the RemoteApp doesn't even try to connect anymore. In a split second it complains "We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on adn connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled". It's not even trying to connect. No changes were made, both at the device or the servers. I've tried reinstalling the app to no avail. Anyone else seeing this?

BTW, an Android device, right next to my IOS, on the same network, accessing the same remote resource, happily connects. No errors, no credentiais reprompt, nothing, it just works as it should. By the way, Remote Desktop Client for Android is still at 8.0.8. So please, PLEASE, do not update to 8.1.0 at Google Play.

I have the iTap product still installed on my iPad.  They are the ones MS bought out; crippled the software and then re-released it under their own name.  Anyways, it is what I test the RD Client against.  Immediatly after the upgrade the RD Client would not work, but the iTap version did.  Same iPad, same remote resources/remote desktop.   
September 12th, 2014 3:48pm

I acctually didn't touch the LmCompatibility setting, as per my understanting it's a client side configuration. Are you still reprompted for authentication after modifying both setting at your RDG server?

BTW, I figured out why I coudn't connect today. I have a setting at my firewall to reject connections on port 3389 from the WAN to improve speed for the RemoteApp access, since it will first try a direct connection and only after a timeout it will fallback to using Remote Dektop Gateway. guess what? 8.1.0, all of the sudden, does not like to have it's connection to 3389 port rejected, so it will not even fallback to  Remote Desktop Gateway. Disabling my firewall rule fixed the issue I had today, but now, on top of everything, I have to wait longer to connect 'till that direct connection attempts time out. Whay to go MS! Is there anything that is not broken in this release?

September 12th, 2014 4:26pm

Yeah, I was desperately looking for a way to get iTap on my devices. No success though. I wish there was a way to get back to 8.0.8...
September 12th, 2014 4:32pm

I'm having the same problems. Hundreds of users cannot work. Tried all the fixes mentioned here. No go. Waiting for the new version I suppose. But it looks like Microsoft isn't listening or paying any attention at all. If they at least gave us a workaround. But I guess there is none. Give us a new version or put back the older version. Come on.
September 12th, 2014 9:28pm

VERY unfortunately, I've just updated to v8.1.2 but it is still not connecting to my RemoteApps. Anyone else got it working on iPad iOS? Thanks.
September 13th, 2014 11:35am

New version not working either. Such a shame.
September 13th, 2014 12:24pm

8.1.2 does work for me on an iPad when connecting to 2012R2 RemoteApp servers. The password prompt did not appear as it did in 8.1.0, and the logon was quick. My setup is Gateway and RDWeb on the same server, then HA Connection Broker farm, then session host servers. All 2012R2. What are you seeing when you try to launch a RemoteApp?
September 13th, 2014 1:22pm

I use 2008 R2 rdp-hosts in a connection broker farm. Gateway and broker on different servers. I still get the error about 'password expired'. I can connect to a server that is not part of the farm and sometimes it connects to a server in the farm. I think it connects when it is not redirected to another server. So i think the problem is with the broker.
September 13th, 2014 1:39pm

The new version works ok now. For everyone, try and reinstall the software. When configuring the RD Connection (NOT REMOTE APP) and if you use you use a gateway, for the server choose the FQDN of your server.
September 13th, 2014 2:44pm

Updated to 8.1.2 still does not work with RDS same as 8.1.0

Works fine connecting to PC behind Gateway Server

Still getting Password error when connecting to RDS Terminal Server Farm behind Gateway Server

Remote APPs on gateway server still does not work (says cant find server)

My gateway server is running Windows 2008 Standard SP1 and TSFARM, Broker, and Terminal Servers all on Windows 2008R2.

September 13th, 2014 3:28pm

Works with a single 2003 terminal server behind a 2008 gateway. Issue still seems to be with connecting to a load balanced terminal server farm.
September 13th, 2014 3:46pm

Just tested with 8.1.2. Everything looks fine:

- Can login to Remote Resources with domain\user

- No password reprompt on accessing RemoteApp

- Reenabled Channel Bindings and could still login to Remote Resources and connect to RemoteApp

- Reenabled reject rule for connections on port 3389 on my firewall and could still connect, really fast.

My environment:

Two RDG Gateway and RD Web (2012 R2)

One RD Broker and RD Host (2012 R2)

Tested also on a 2012 only (not R2) environment and everything is working. Can't speak for load balanced RDS farm, for I don't have one. For me, seems fixed.

September 13th, 2014 6:46pm

2008 R2 session host and one 2008R2 Gateway/RDWeb server. Still not working as it did with 8.0.8. The publishing server encountered an error. Please try again. GIMME 8.0.8 back....have customers needing NOW! -SH
September 14th, 2014 4:56am

8.1.2 Client does not work with SNI in IIS 8.5 through ARR. Without SNI but through ARR does not work, previous versions worked without SNI but through ARR.

The client passes in ARR as HTTP_HOST field value "fqdn:443" not only the fqdn. This happens with version 8.1.2 and earlier, so in ARR must create two rules one with "fqdn:443" and another with "fqdn" only
September 14th, 2014 7:55am

8.1.2 on IOS7 still mixes the backslash and swaps it agains an "at" sign. So when i tell RDP Client on IOS to logon via gateway using mydomain\myusername and then check the gateway services log (windows 2012 r2 machine) it tells me the user "mydomain@myusername" tries to blabla. Not only it mistakenly swaps user and domain, it even changes my backslash to an "at". The 8.0.8 did that all OK. Where is the problem?

But at least you can use myusername@mydomain.bla - this works now.

But - Microsoft - this has to be fixed ASAP.

September 14th, 2014 5:04pm

The IOS RD Client update yesterday allows us to connect to our 2012R2 Gateway now without repeated prompt for credentials.  I removed the temporary registry entry ENFORCECHANNELBINDING per previous post without causing any issue.

However, on IOS 7.1.2, our published application launches with a thick black border around the bottom and to the right side of the window.  The border is actually blocking part of our childcare center time clock which allows parents to use iPads to check their children in/out of daycare centers.  The Microsoft Office 2010 applications launch without this border. 

We didn't experience the black border with the previous IOS RD Clients.  

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve or is this still an issue with the client that Microsoft needs to resolve?

• Edited by techkat2 Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:08 PM
September 14th, 2014 9:04pm

2008 R2 Web Feeds still not working with 8.1.3. What gives?
September 15th, 2014 1:53am

8.1.3 still broken with Server 2012 RD Gateway RemoteApp. Three updates in quick succession and none appear to work. Please fix or revert back to 8.0.8 ASAP as productivity is being affected.
  • Edited by DS_ICT Monday, September 15, 2014 8:09 AM
September 15th, 2014 8:08am

8.1.3 still broken with Server 2012 RD Gateway RemoteApp. Three updates in quick succession and none appear to work. Please fix or revert back to 8.0.8 ASAP as productivity is being affected.

Found a workaround for our error 0x03000008 after much barracking from users.

Changing the Gateway RD-RAP to "allow users to connect to any network resource" seems to cure the authentication issue.

• Edited by DS_ICT Monday, September 15, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Proposed as answer by DS_ICT Monday, September 15, 2014 10:29 AM
September 15th, 2014 9:03am

DS_ICT: Yeah - i also heard this from various users i know. I also heard about many cases where since 8.1.0 any administrative priviliged user authenticating at gateway level falls internally back to MACHINENAMEOFGATEWAYSERVER\administrator and thus they had to adapt their ressource and connection policy when this local user administrator was not included in a local group covering it. This only happens at gateway level. The target machines seem to use the correct target credentials.

Now: Adapting security sensitive policies to avoid a bug in a CLIENT software is always a bad idea. Id suggest to not do this - Microsoft HAS to fix this ASAP.

Best regards,
Joerg

September 15th, 2014 11:02am

Joerg: Could not find any other references to this this fix - worked it out myself.

Of course, my suggestion is a workaround and not the complete solution, but it works for now and hopefully will help others with the 0x03000008 error.

However, could not agree with you more. Microsoft need to release a fourth update to solve this once and for all. Now we have made them aware of the issue, hopefully we will not have to wait to long and can then revert to previous security policies.

• Edited by DS_ICT Monday, September 15, 2014 11:43 AM
September 15th, 2014 11:40am

We tried the registry fixes but these didn't work for for us at all. We were constantly getting the error when trying to connect to a published RemoteApps:

"We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled. If this keeps happening, ask your admin or tech support for help" 

The only thing that allowed us to access our RemoteApps (Server 2012 R2 based) from an iOS device was to edit the RDS Deployment Properties -> RD Gateway -> uncheck the "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses".

then you just need to kill the RD client app on the iPad and open it again and it worked a treat.

September 15th, 2014 1:05pm

Did you get any solution or workaround. I'm having the same issue here?
September 16th, 2014 6:21pm

At this point, Microsoft needs to revert this app back to the old version, we're going on days all of my remote users unable to access the tools they need to do their jobs, and there's nothing we can do about it. Microsoft needs to fix this now.
September 17th, 2014 2:14am

Hi,

I have just configured my single 2008 R2 RDS and setup RemoteApp.  - The first time I tried it, the application worked beautifully.  Upon second log in, that's when I would get the errors being described......

I have tried various configurations (using a RD gateway/not using one) plus most of the workarounds people have listed in this thread (thanks to those how took the time out), I will be trying the LSA fixes tonight (as the server is in production).  But seeing that previous version of the client worked, I'm thinking either a bug in the 8.1.x release, or a Windows update has broken the authentication mechanism that the IOS app uses.  Either way, it should be down to MS to fix this, they really should properly test before pushing this out as a release. 

Another post  someone made on threads - future features: Being able to use %username% when deploying this app via whatever MDM solution you have, should be catered for.  - Manual deployment is not the norm these days!

Right, stepping down from my soap box now..........

September 17th, 2014 6:07am

please go back to the old version and better control what you do. Have you demonstrated unprofessional and very stubborn!
  • Proposed as answer by Frank Hagenaars Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:27 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by Frank Hagenaars Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:09 AM
September 17th, 2014 7:18am

Why is it so hard to go back to version 8.0.1?

Can somebody tell me what RDP software can be used rather then "Microsoft Extern bureablad"?

I hoop to hear from you soon, gents!

September 17th, 2014 10:28am

Why is it so hard to go back to version 8.0.1?

Can somebody tell me what RDP software can be used rather then "Microsoft Extern bureablad"?

I hoop to hear from you soon, gents!

The one that was really good is no longer on the market, because MS bought them.

September 17th, 2014 12:04pm

Thanks for your reply!

Lets hope Microsoft fix this quickly

September 17th, 2014 12:08pm

OK....this has nearly reached the point of becoming vulgar. At what point should one abandon ship and find another solution? Get with the program and get this fixed or at least offer a workaround. I honestly have to say, being a former iTAP customer, this is ridiculous...they would have FULLY tested or offered a way to roll back. 
September 17th, 2014 2:44pm

Please help.  I can get on but the cursor on my Ipad been gone since 8.9.14 and we're now on 8.1.3.  No cursor = NO USE!!!
September 17th, 2014 3:24pm

OK....this has nearly reached the point of becoming vulgar. At what point should one abandon ship and find another solution? Get with the program and get this fixed or at least offer a workaround. I honestly have to say, being a former iTAP customer, this is ridiculous...they would have FULLY tested or offered a way to roll b
September 17th, 2014 5:44pm

I am still having problems with this. I'm on 8.1.3 and have gas no cursor since 8.9.13. Having this app on my ipad is just taking up memory right in was it's of no use to me. I cannot use it. Please. Can anyone help? Thank you.
September 23rd, 2014 11:20am

App does not work on my ipad since update 8.1
September 23rd, 2014 2:41pm

For those user receiving the 0x3000008 error, here is what I have done to resolve the problem.

The Gateway was configured with a local RD gateway managed group in the resource authorization policy. I added a new policy with 'Allow users to connect to an network resource' The connection error went away.

Not ideal!

I then created a new group with the rdp server computers and the farm name as members and applied this group in the 'Active Directory domain services recource group' section of the RAP policy.

Works for me! Hope this is usefull to someone else. Its taken hours of me time. 

September 24th, 2014 3:41pm

Gents,

The App still doesn't work! updated to the latest version! 

Kind Regards, 

Frank Hagenaars

September 25th, 2014 7:33am

Why are we still waiting for a solution?!?! This would have to be a quick fix!  I can't believe, like others have said, that Microsoft isn't able to full circle test their product before it goes out the door.  This is a major problem as we have lots of users who rely on remote desktop connection on their iPads to connect up.  Add to that that the Microsoft RDP app is the only one that supports RD Gateway, and the problem just compounds.

Dear Microsoft, FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY!

September 26th, 2014 8:39pm

@jrble819

Well there's also Jump Desktop, but that one costs $15. The problem is even more ridiculous because it works with some domain name providers and not others.

September 26th, 2014 8:43pm

Seriously Microsoft you're kidding, right? I watched as my iPad updated to 8.1.4 and once updated, every single time I click the button for the virtual keyboard the app crashes. What the heck is going on Microsoft? When will you guys get this right? If the app update doesn't work please tell me what the point of having the app is please? THIS HAS GOT TO BE RECTIFIED......PLEASE!!!
September 28th, 2014 2:18am

Just updated latest version . Still does not work.. Roll back to the version that worked. How hard could it be.
  • Edited by Jcaruthers3 Sunday, September 28, 2014 11:00 PM
September 28th, 2014 10:58pm

Same issue for me!
September 30th, 2014 7:18pm

Still the same issue for me too
October 14th, 2014 6:48am

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Microsoft fix this now! 

I have 120 members of staff who can not access vital resources! Roll it back as no one wants a "good looking GUI" but a non working app! 

Please get back to me ASAP! 

• Proposed as answer by ____david____ Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:41 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by ____david____ Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:41 AM
October 14th, 2014 10:56am

I have a other problem with iOs rd client 8.1.4, can help somebody?

The issue is the alphabetical keys do not work or input into a active input field, the space bar and number keys are fine. 

example: I have a VNC connection from my Windows Desktop to a other PC. so I have to put user name or password in a VNC-login field. It works directly on my desktop but not with the rd client app. I can't input small types in this field. With rd Client 8.0.x it was working!!

October 15th, 2014 6:26pm

As of 8.1.5, my remote app is still not working? Any fixes??????????
November 13th, 2014 4:08pm

Te app works
November 17th, 2014 11:33am

I finally got this to work.  I'm hoping that someone out there can verify this, as it seems a bit crazy that this is the solution.

When you are entering in your Remote Resource URL, make sure you match the alpha case of the address, as it is reflected in IIS.

For instance, https://Bogus.CompanyDomain.Com/RDWeb/Feed/WebFeed.aspx

I have a hard time believing that this is the answer, but I was able to duplicate it by messing around with the case...If I did not match exactly, I got the spinning wheel of "Preparing..."

Hope this helps.

November 18th, 2014 2:47am

I had my fingers crossed but unfortunately, the alpha case trick did not work for me.  I also tried to use the IP address in place of the hostname, as other sites have suggested, but that didn't work either.  I'm glad you found a work around that works for you but MS needs to come up with a permanent fix for this.  Thanks for sharing.
November 19th, 2014 10:47am

For those user receiving the 0x3000008 error, here is what I have done to resolve the problem.

The Gateway was configured with a local RD gateway managed group in the resource authorization policy. I added a new policy with 'Allow users to connect to an network resource' The connection error went away.

Not ideal!

I then created a new group with the rdp server computers and the farm name as members and applied this group in the 'Active Directory domain services recource group' section of the RAP policy.

Works for me! Hope this is usefull to someone else. Its taken hours of me time. 

Thanks, I am going to try this on my configuration. Anyway this situation is ridiculous, all other clietns work fine but the IOS client.
November 19th, 2014 11:59am

Interestingly, whilst having the exact same problem for the majority of clients we support, our own RemoteApps work fine on iOS devices with the latest update. Odd.

Comparing and contrasting the environments yields no differences. The working environment is Win2K8 R2 Enterprise - separate gateway and RDS. The other affected clients are using a mixture of separate gateways and not, and Win 2K8 R2 Standard and Enterprise.

Reviewing the event log of the affected servers shows Event 4624 logon x 3, then, about 20 seconds later 3 x event 4634 log off events. However the users connecting in on the iOS devices never make the connection to the gateway - hence the spinning wheel of "Preparing your Remote Resources"

The 3 x logon events are all duplicates detailing NTLMv2 as the authentication method.

On the one server that works an immediate Event 4624 detailing the Kerberos authentication appears after the NTLMv2 event. This doesn't happen on any of the affected clients.

It has to be the authentication method. I just can't figure out what yet, and why it works on the one of our servers and none of the other clients!

December 9th, 2014 5:31pm

Some months ago I tested their new client against an RDS 2012 server. It worked flawlessly. Today I needed to test something quick from my iPad...where this previously worked fine. I downloaded the client again only to have spent the past hour fighting to reconnect to my RDS server and my published apps. I finally got connected to my published apps by using this same explicit URA as others have done: https://Bogus.CompanyDomain.Com/RDWeb/Feed/WebFeed.aspx But now it just errors out saying it couldn't connect to the server. I am very disappointed to read this thread and see this has festered for MONTHS! Bravo, Microsoft. X2 embarrasses you with a client that worked so much better than yours. Hey, if you can't beat them, buy them. But you could have at least not screwed up something that was working.
December 24th, 2014 3:59am

I had exactly the same problem at a customer. I found a solution if I deselect the "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" everything works as it should.
January 8th, 2015 9:19am

I've been reading this post for a while to see various alternatives to try to fix the iOS connections to RDS 2008r2.  I was not sure where to disable channel bingings so didn't try this. Typing the URL exactly as it appears in IIS didn't work.  Tried to later Microsoft Remote App versions and they didn't work.  However, on each RDS Session Host, I unchecked the "Bypass RD Gateway for local addresses"  in RemoteApp Manager-->under RD Gateway Settings.  This worked for me.  Thank you very much!!!  However, unchecking this option doesn't allow me to access the RemoteApp website internally from my Windows PC via IE.  I get an error when launching an app on the site - "You computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Remote Desktop Gateway server is temporarily unavailable.  Try reconnecting later or contact your network administrator for assistance." I can get around it by creating .rdp file and running this to launch the program.

January 16th, 2015 5:30pm

I have exactly the same issue as Ufficioced. the IOS app does not connect over 3G but connects fine from Wifi. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?
January 22nd, 2015 10:59pm

I had exactly the same problem at a customer. I found a solution if I deselect the "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" everything works as it should.

Our infrastructure:

1RD Connection Broker - serv01

2RD3 Session Host - serv01, serv02, serv03

1RD Gateway - serverGW

1RD Web - serverGW

And I found the same problem. All works from outside, from internal WiFI. Anf doesn't work from WiFi with network addressing 172.17.X.X and "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" selected. If "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" deselected no problems from anyware. And the problem only with IOS RD Client and starts from version 8.1.0.

furtherrefinement- the errorappears onlywhenserv01(sonnectionbroker)redirectingconnectionto thesession hostserver  serv02 or Serv03. If connection stays on Serv01 - there are no errors then
  • Edited by alexis.vl.k Monday, January 26, 2015 2:07 PM
January 26th, 2015 1:59pm

I have had the exact same issue. And found a solution. Hope it might work for you to. Have to warn you - the solution might seem as a joke - but it isn't.

The issue in my case was related to the users password. If we use a Danish letter for example or in the password. We cannot logon from outside the Network, but when the iOS device is connected to the local wifi-network connection works perfectly.

The password we tested which didn't work:

sterlars2, Pssword01, sword01, sword01

When ever changing password to something else, with out or . The users would be logged in as expected.

I have tested this thoroughly. I am a bit curious to know if it works for you to.

Best regards,

Mr. Thomas

February 19th, 2015 2:16pm

I have exactly the same issue as Ufficioced. the IOS app does not connect over 3G but connects fine from Wifi. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?

I found that if I cleared the "Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses" check box that my issues connecting to 2012R2 RemoteApp Resources using RD Client 8.1.10 on iOS went away. 

The issue is that I need to bypass the RD Gateway server internally because my Gateway server sits in the DMZ behind a reverse proxy. If I clear this setting it changes my environment in two ways:

1. It proxies all users through the gateway server introducing a single point of failure for all users (not just externals.

2. It pushes my internal traffic into my DMZ which I do not want.

Can MS provide a proper solution to this issue rather than a work around. This used to work until the release of iOS client 8.1.0.

Also, my desktops still work fine. It's only my remoteapps that no longer work.

Cheers

Chris

June 30th, 2015 1:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics