IIS server certificate distribution using GPO
I have a website on my intranet, that due to the nature of the data, requires the data to be encrypted using SSL/HTTPS. I created a self-signed certificate on the webserver (IIS7) and can import it in my browser to eliminate the certificate error screen and all works well. What I need is to push that certificate out to clients who require that application. I also have a couple of IE settings that need to be set (ActiveX script and Trusted site). I figured out how to push the IE security settings using a GPO that is linked to the domain and applies only to a group defined in Active Directory. That part is working. I was hoping to use the same GPO to push the certificate as well. Here is what I tried, but it does not seem to work: 1. I navigated to the site to get the error 2. Select continue at the cert error screen 3. Clicked on the cert error to “view certificate: 4. Clicked the “Details” tab and then “Copy file” button 5. Followed wizard and selected DER encoded binary ( I also tried P7B as that was used in one post I saw) 6. Then saved it to location. 7. I then went into Group Policy Manager on the AD server and right mouse clicked on the GPO I used for the IE security settings. 8. Then navigated to “Computer Configuration\policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Public Key policies\Trusted Root Certification Authorities and right mouse button click then selected “Import” 9. I followed the import wizard and import the previously saved CER file to the “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” I figured that anyone in the application group that was getting the IE security settings, would now have the certificate automatically installed, but that does occur. I still get the cert error screen. I thought I had the steps right based on some posts in this forum, but obviously not. Can someone advise as to what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
December 14th, 2011 2:15pm

Because the Trusted Root Certification Authority is a computer setting you need to make sure that the policy is applied to the computers used by the users accessing the web site. /Hasain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 16th, 2011 1:02pm

Is there not a way to tie it to a user. If I only have a subset of users that require access to the internal server, can it be done that way? that would be more ideal. If that is possible.
December 16th, 2011 1:06pm

Because the Trusted Root Certification Authority is a computer setting you need to make sure that the policy is applied to the computers used by the users accessing the web site. /Hasain
December 16th, 2011 8:58pm

It is not possible. Root trust is a computer setting, not a user setting. Each individual user would have to add the root certificate as a trusted root (and not be local administrators on the box, as this would establish root trust for the machine, not the user. Brian
December 17th, 2011 8:31am

It is not possible. Root trust is a computer setting, not a user setting. Each individual user would have to add the root certificate as a trusted root (and not be local administrators on the box, as this would establish root trust for the machine, not the user. Brian
December 17th, 2011 4:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics