IIS Site with Public IP Address
I am trying to host a site using IIS on Windows Server 2008. The A and CNAME Records for my domain point to the Public IP Address of the server with IIS, and in the Site Bindings, I put the Public IP for the IP Address field. When I navigate to the site, It seems that it is not reaching IIS. When I tried it with the Private IP, it worked on my network, but with the public IP, it doesn't work anywhere, even on the server itself. I called my ISP, and they said that they are not blocking port 80, and they seemed to have no solution. I don't know exactly what is causing this problem, so I don't know what to do about it. I have been trying to figure this problem out for a little while, and I haven't really been getting anywhere. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
July 11th, 2010 5:18pm

Hello You will need to configure your router/gateway to route/forward traffic from your public IP and nat it to your internal private IP, I think it is a natting/routing issueIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2010 6:09am

Hi SZH1 , Thanks for posting here. After reading your post I understand that you can’t reach the website with access public IP address of website. Before we head up to your questions, please answer the following question to make us have a good understanding of your environment: · You mentioned that you have assigned a public IP address for your website and set DNS record for this address , I just want to sure that if the DNS server and Web server are directly connect to internet ? · Check if allow in-coming 80 port is enabled on the firewall of your web server. · Please test from a computer where located in remote or internet , check if the DNS record can be resolved correctly via nslookup <web server domain>,and if the public IP address of webserver can be reached via ping <web server domain name /IP address>. · Can you access internet from the test machine where located in internal machine ? Generally, there are two typical network structures of web site: 1 Web server connect to internet directly , it hold at least on public registry IP address .Any machine can reach this server from internet via IP address or Domain. 2 Web server is behind NAT or internet gateway , then you need set port forward ,so that the internal web server can be reached from internet. Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 12th, 2010 11:13am

I have my web server behind a router, and Port Forwarding / NAT is configured. Port 80 is allowed in Windows Firewall. I can ping my domain name and the web server's public IP successfully.
July 12th, 2010 7:18pm

Hello Go to your ISP configuration page, make sure that they or you have your public IP listed and it is pointing to the correct domain.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
July 13th, 2010 5:44am

Hi SZH1, Thanks for your update. For test ,Could you try to access this site from internet with Network Monitor and capture http packet to verify what cause failed to access. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f&displaylang=en Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 14th, 2010 8:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics