IE locks up on Win 2008 Server new install
The story: a brand new Dell server was installed Sunday, 11/09/2008 in a small (under 10 users)company with Windows 2008 Server, Std. Edition, 32-bit. A new domain was created rather than join their existing W2K domain. I installed AD and joined all the computers to the domain. I installedDNS, and pointed the server's DNS to itself and setup forwarders in DNS. Internet Explorer worked fine.Today, Internet Explorer does not work on the server. From a DOS prompt I can ping outside, and it resolves names, so DNS is working. User computers get to the internet just fine, and they are pointing to the server for DNS. I have no entries in Event Viewer indicating any problems with IE, DNS or anything.Here's the kicker - I can't open Network Connections properties to fix anything. It hangs. Also, if I go to the Connections tab of IE's Internet Options, it hangs. Restarting the server did not fix anything. And there are no problems reported to event viewer.May or may not be related - Backup Exec (Quickstart Edition) jobs also seem to be hanging. On Sunday we ran a test job, worked just fine. Monday night's backup started but never got past startup scan stage. I tried aborting the job, wouldn't abort. Tried stopping the services, they wouldn't stop. So we rebooted. After reboot, a test job never got past startup scan. No entries in Event Viewer.I suspect both these problems are related. Neither existed Sunday - IE and BE both worked. I really need IE to work to make a vendor support connection for an application, ASAP.Thanks for any help.
November 11th, 2008 11:08pm

Hi, Does Internet Explorer cannot work mean that we cannot open it or it just cannot open/visit any websites? If we can open IE but cannot visit any websites, this issue may occur if IE was blocked by third party software, such as Firewall, antivirus software. Did this problem coincide with any special events, such as the installation of some software? If so, please uninstall them to test. Lets also try to test in Safe Mode with Network and reset IE settings in Safe Mode. 1. Restart the computer, press F8 and select Safe Mode with Network. 2. Open IE and test. Whats the result? 3. If the issue still appears, click Start, type "Inetcpl.cpl" press Enter. Could we open Internet Options? If we can, switch to Advanced tab, click Reset button. 4. Restart the computer and test. If the issue continues, click Start, type ncpa.cpl, press Enter. Double-click Local Area connection, click Properties, check if there is any third party protocol/service/client was installed. If any, please disable them and test again. If we still cannot fix this issue, please help to collect a Hijackthis log and post it here. We can download it on other computer and transfer it to Windows server 2008. http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability. If we cannot open IE, please try to collect Hijackthis log and System Information for research, compress System Information as ZIP before sending. Please send the log file and System Information to tfwst@microsoft.com. Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2008 12:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics