IE 10 preparation, installation and questions

Hello, a few question before we go IE 10 in a big way.

We have created a small pilot platform of PC's and Servers consisting of Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 2008 R2 SP1. The group in WSUS is called IE10 Upgrade Test. This mix will resemble a production platform as much as possible. The idea is to approve IE 10 if things go right in this group.

Question 1: For PC's and Servers in this group (IE10 Upgrade Test), I have found the below KB as prerequisites, is that all? I have also read somewhere in this forum that KB2639308 and KB2834140 is also required?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2818833

Question 2: IE 10 is available in WSUS server as Update Rollups, provided I meet the prerequisites from above, do I then just approve the following to the IE10 Upgrade Test systems?

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems

Internet Explorer 10 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems

Users in the PC's and servers in the group IE10 Upgrade Test do not have any local admin rights. Their system will check for IE10 or any other required updates around 3 AM at night and start applying the update.

Question 3: Do users need to have any kind of admin related right on the PC's or servers for things like IE10 WSUS installation to go forward? It should be mentioned that in our normal environemnt, except for a handful, none of the users have Admin right on local PC's, but patches are being installed without issues.

Thanks for your assistance.

May 25th, 2015 11:32pm

Question 1 - I would go with what KB2818833 says about the prerequisites

Question 2 - Yes, approving the update for the Computer Group in WSUS, given the prerequisites are satisfied, is all you need to do.

Question 3 - No, the Windows Update service runs under the Local System account and has more than enough rights to perform the installation.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2015 1:21am

Question 1 - I would go with what KB2818833 says about the prerequisites

Question 2 - Yes, approving the update for the Computer Group in WSUS, given the prerequisites are satisfied, is all you need to do.

Question 3 - No, the Windows Update service runs under the Local System account and has more than enough rights to perform the installation.

May 26th, 2015 5:16am

Hi,

We've not heard from you yet. I assume the information provided by Stefano has helped. I am marking the reply as answered now.

In case the information did not help, please feel free to unmark the answer and come back to us with your comments.

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2015 2:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics