I386 Redirection
Can someone please help me out? I am looking for information on Windows 2003 I386 Redirection using the registry. I have found many authoratative sources, but was hoping to find one put out by Microsoft. The reason I need something from Microsoft isduring my research I have found that some admins use sourcepath = c:\ and some use sourcepath=c:\i386. Which one is correct?My end goal is to have System File Protection and Microsoft Approved Updates using a local I386 vs media.DavidDavid D. Ditto, Jr. Managed Services / Junior Technician MCP, MCDST, N-Able Certified Administrator
September 24th, 2009 6:10pm

Hi, After the system installation, there is no i386 folder in system drive. I suspect what you saw is that somebody copied the I386 folder from the installation disk to the system drive so they dont need to insert the disk to CD/DVD if the system need some files. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2009 11:32am

hi David, i agree with vincent, I386 folder will not get copied after OS installation , this folder will be copied during the installation ( only a cached copy / temp copy ) for all the drivers to get loaded and for the the roles. and i dont think so there is need to redirect I386 folder, usually admin's avoid users to access I386 folder as they might install several applicaitons which canhamper network or AD functionalitysainath !analyze
September 25th, 2009 11:44am

Thanks for the quick reply. I am sorry if I was confusing, but what I meantis I want to copy I386 from the windows CD to the C:\ of a server and place a registry hack to point to the local I386 folder for File Protection and Updates. However, I am having a problem getting a clear answer on if when updating the following registry keys I use c:\ or c:\i386. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\SetupDavid D. Ditto, Jr. Managed Services / Junior Technician MCP, MCDST, N-Able Certified Administrator
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 25th, 2009 4:20pm

Hi, Did you mean you want to copy the I386 folder to local C: driver, then next time if you install add a component, you dont need to insert the installation disk into CD/DVD? If so, you can change the following path from your current location to C:\. -------------------------------- Installation Sources, ServicePackSourcePath, SourcePath -------------------------------- The following screen shot is taken from my Windows XP computer, the original place is D:\, I changed the three path from D:\ to C:\, andthen I added one component, the system never prompt to insert the disk. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
September 28th, 2009 11:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics