I'm unable to create a new Table on SQL Azure.
I'm trying to create a new table in my custom database. But i'm getting this error message:

'Filegroup reference and partitioning scheme' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.'

Here is the sample create schema:

CREATE TABLE dbo.[Contact](
    [ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
    [FirstName] [nvarchar](250) NULL,
    [LastName] [nvarchar](250) NULL,
    [InsertDateTime] [datetime] NULL,
    [UpdateDateTime] [datetime] NULL,
    [PhoneNo1] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
    [CellNo1] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
    [IsActive] [bit] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_Contact] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
(
    [ID] ASC
)WITH (STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]
) ON [PRIMARY]

GO
September 15th, 2009 5:33pm

Simply remove the two "ON [PRIMARY]" parts of the create statement and it will work.

The MSDN docs contain the list of T-SQL that is either partially supported or not supported. For example see the following location for CREATE TABLE - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee336258.aspx

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Mark
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2009 6:04pm

...two... years... later...

:|

April 26th, 2011 6:17pm

INDEED..still not supported... :-/
May 6th, 2011 4:07pm

INDEED..still not supported... :-/

---

Is no access to physical infrastructure not the entire point of a cloud-hosted database server?

The Windows Azure Platform is a platform-as-a-service (PaaS) cloud offering. As such, it provides a managed infrastructure into which people insert applications. It would be a fairly major violation of that model were SQL Azure to provide access to the file system.

May 6th, 2011 8:55pm

In addition to Neil's comment, I would add that one of the major strengths of SQL Azure is its simplicity from an administrative standpoint while providing as much parity as possible for the relational and programming stack.  In somes cases, less is more. SQL Azure is an example.  By having a simpler system we are able to get certain capabilities not available on premise. Take a look at the CREATE DATABASE XYZ AS COPY OF operation for example, you do not have to worry about finding a server with enough space; you do not have to worry about moving files around a network or creating shares between machines; and best of all, you do not have to any kind or provisioning of cleanup as a result of cloning a database. The upcoming Data Federation feature is another example of what you can achieve when you are free of underlying configuration details.

That's not to say SQL Azure wouldn't benefit from some capabilties of the SQL Server platform (for example TDE); but personally I am happy that two years later we still don't have to worry about many of those low-level configuration details.

May 6th, 2011 9:44pm

...3.5 years later ....still not supported
September 5th, 2012 4:27pm

Thanks, this worked like a charm :)

Amit

www.vouchersmate.com

January 7th, 2013 10:38am

5 years later!

Thanks! It worked

March 6th, 2014 2:00am

Worked! Thank you!
March 14th, 2014 2:33pm

What impact does removing that have?

thanks - dave

September 25th, 2014 8:11pm

5 years later, same thing.
October 26th, 2014 5:25pm

The link for the Books Online topic CREATE TABLE (Azure SQL Database) is now here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn305849.aspx
December 23rd, 2014 1:29am

Sex Year Later and still not supported
February 10th, 2015 3:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics