Hyper V won't install WIN XP

Launched Hyper V and attempted to connect to WIN XP to install the XP operating system.  I have the installation disk for WIN XP. The message I get is "boot device not found".  when I try to install using an image file I get the same result. cc Hyper V is set to look at the dvd drive for the program installation and in my hard drive for the image.  Everything seems to be ok with the Hyper V installation and settings, but obviously something is not working.

October 1st, 2014 2:51pm

Hi there,

What are you using Hyper-V on?  What generation computer did you specify, gen 1 or gen 2?  You would need to use Gen 1 to use XP. This may be where you need to check to make sure Win XP can load properly. 

• Proposed as answer by Sam Boutros Wednesday, October 01, 2014 4:47 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2014 2:52pm

Hi there,

What are you using Hyper-V on?  What generation computer did you specify, gen 1 or gen 2?  You would need to use Gen 1 to use XP. This may be where you need to check to make sure Win XP can load properly. 

• Proposed as answer by Sam Boutros Wednesday, October 01, 2014 4:47 PM
October 1st, 2014 2:52pm

Using a new (gaming) computer only 1 month old.  I should be able to load XP on a virtual disk so I can use some apps that work in XP.  When I had Win 7 on an older machine I installed the XP Virtual mode and these apps worked.  Would like to do the same in WIN 8.1.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2014 5:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics