Hyper V hosts with Cluster Shared Volume do not provide Shared VHDX ability

Hi there, i've configured a pair of Hyper V hosts (UCS B230 M2) with SAN-Boot and access to a Shared Fiber Channel LUN.

No matter what I try, when I add a SCSI Adapter and one VHDX virtual disk to a VM, the option for "Advanced" never shows up therefore I can not share the VHDX file between another VM, which prevents any VM based clustering from working (IE: Clustered SQL server)

Here are the settings I have configured:

-----------------------------------------------

The LUN has been formatted with NTFS

The Hyper V hosts have been configured as a Windows Cluster with an IP address and the Fiber Channel LUN configured as a Cluster Shared Volume

I follows the guides below

Create a CSV
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn265980.aspx

Create a shared VHDX
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282283.aspx

----------------------------------------------

Further details:

Two HyperV server core hosts built
Both joined to AD
Both joined to a Windows failover cluster
One 2TB Fibre Channel LUN presented from an EMC VNX array to both hosts
LUN formatted as NTFS
LUN created as a Cluster Shared Volume
Cluster Shared Volume present on both HyperV hosts
VM created within the Cluster Shared Volume
VM Booted up and Windows 2012 has been installed
VM gracefully shut down
Through the HyperV Manager, going in to VM settings,create a SCSI adapter, create a new VHDX file inside the CSV, the Advanced option for the VHDX is not present, therefore the option to make the VHDX file shared is not available

I have followed all steps in the Microsft Technet pages to create a CSV and a VM with Shared VHDX

Ive cleared all settings and restarted multiple times, but this option is not present

March 30th, 2015 8:33pm

HI,

Are you using the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2?

Shared VHDX is a new feature on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Please read Virtual Hard Disk Sharing Overview for your information.

Regards, Terry | My Blog: http://tls1.cc
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 2:11am

Hi Terry,

Thanks very much for the response.  Yes we are using Hyper-V Server 2012 R2

I will try rebuilding a host with Windows Server 2012 R2 with the Hyper V role tomorrow

Do you (or anyone) happen to know when this feature might be added to Hyper V Server 2012 R2? It seems like quite a core function, and it's surprising that it's missing from HyperV Server

Many thanks

March 31st, 2015 2:29am

HI,

Are you using the Hyper-V Server 2012 R2?

Shared VHDX is a new feature on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Please read Virtual Hard Disk Sharing Overview for your information.

• Marked as answer by Rob Moss Wednesday, April 01, 2015 1:31 AM
March 31st, 2015 6:07am

Hi Rob,

I can find the "Advanced Features" option on Hyper-V Manager which is connected to Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. The Hyper-V Manager is installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 server.

By the way, have you tried to perform PowerShell cmdlets to enable virtual hard disk sharing?

For more information, please read Deploy a Guest Cluster Using a Shared Virtual Hard Disk.

March 31st, 2015 7:23am

Hi Rob

Not sure if this will help or not, but as you have a cluster have you looked to see if you can edit the VM through the Failover Cluster Manager GUI, rather than through the Hyper-V Manager?

Cheers

Paul

March 31st, 2015 7:49am

Hi Sir,

>>No matter what I try, when I add a SCSI Adapter and one VHDX virtual disk to a VM, the option for "Advanced" never shows up therefore I can not share the VHDX file between another VM

>>Yes we are using Hyper-V Server 2012 R2

As we know Hyper-v server 2012R2 is a free version without GUI , I'm afraid you are not using Win 8.1 or other windows server 2012R2 to manage that free version hyper-v server .

Shared vhdx is a new feature came with 2012R2 , if use previous windows to manage 2012R2 you will not see "advanced" option (The blue circle belongs 2012 , the red circle belongs to 2012R2 ):

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

March 31st, 2015 9:03am

Hi Everyone, thanks for your help.

Just to close off this thread, and to help future viewers -

The problem exists in the HyperV Server build, it does not contain the Shared VHDX feature.  The solution is to rebuild with Windows 2012 R2 (Core or Standard) with the Hyper V role, and rejoin these to a cluster. 

Once clustered, and the Cluster Shared Volume re-enabled, I could create a VM with a Shared VHDX between VMs.

April 13th, 2015 1:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics