Hyper V VM Host network apdapter configuration

Hi there

I am trying to clear up a simple question which is proving not so easy on the host of forums out there.

I have a Hyper V host with two NIC's, one for the guests and one for the host. One guest is a domain controller with DHCP enabled. Should I set the host NIC's static address with DNS pointing to the router / ISP? Or should I use DNS on the DC?

I have had a problem with the DHCP trying to allocate the address of the VMHost to other clients creating a bad address entry. Using DNS from the DC solved the issue, but is this correct way? I could simply reserve the MAC I suppose

R

September 30th, 2014 2:47pm

Once Hyper-V role is installed on a 2012-R2 server and rebooted, the Hypervisor runs on the bare metal, and the Management OS ( = Parent Partition = Hyper-V host) is just another Partition running on the Hypervisor. The Parent Partition gets one or more vNICs like any other VM ( = Child Partition). In this image for example:

The Parent Partition has 3 vNICs for different purposes. 

In a simple setup, I recommend:

1 external vSwitch attached to 1 physical NIC, with vNICs to the parent and child partitions on the vSwitch.

Give the vNICs IPs as you would any physical NICs in physical machines.

The second physical NIC in this example will be unused.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2014 4:54pm

Thanks Scott, Appreciated
October 3rd, 2014 3:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics