Hyper V VDI memory grows quickly and exceeds memory maximum
I have created 4 virtual desktops, all running Windows 7 32 bit, on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server.  3 of them are working fine and have no problems.  The fourth one is growing over its maximum capacity for memory and no idea why.  All that I have done with it is Windows Updates.  The hard drive had a set maximum of 127 GB and it grew to 130 GB over night.  It was only in the testing stage and not even deployed to anyone to use as I was getting ready to install an application but hadn't yet.  Any ideas what could have caused it and what I can do to keep it from happening again?
May 27th, 2015 1:13pm

I am slightly confused.

You mention this one VM is consuming a great deal of RAM.  Yet you mention that its hard disk is set to 127 Gb and consumed more than that?  Things are not aligning here.

The VM consuming RAM is all about the applications  / services running inside that VM.

How are you determining that the 4th one is using all of its memory?

In regards to disk space...  If you have a dynamic virtual disk, then it should only expand as files are written to its maximum size.  It should never exceed its maximum size.

Just as with RAM, this is all about what happens inside of the VM OS.

If you take snapshots, then your VMs folder can consume more than the 127Gb of storage (in theory), but only if you disk is fixed, or your dynamic disk is fully expanded.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 3:25pm

Brian,

Thanks for answering.  I should have made it clearer that it's all about the VHD drive space.  I have it set at 127GB statically and it has grown somehow to be 130 GB.  I can log into the server and see the different VDIs and how much they are using in terms of disk space.  I have also not taken any snapshots.  All I had done was to create the virtual desktop, install Windows 7 32 bit, performed Windows Updates, and added it to the domain.  I left for the weekend and came back to it using 130 GB.  It's very weird and I can't see how it's even possible honestly.

May 27th, 2015 3:30pm

The VHD itself should not change sizes if it is a fixed virtual disk.

That said - you storage system could cause it to consume a bit more space than you expect - due to block alignments.

But again, there should not have been a change as time passed.

If the addition of a differencing disk or snapshot would do the same.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 3:51pm

Hi Sir,

Is there any update ?

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

May 31st, 2015 10:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics