Hyper V / Physical

We have acquired a dedicated server in Locaweb with Additional ips, I get 3 ips internet valid on the same NIC, with this server I will virtualize 2 machines in Hyper -V.

How I do to 1 ip staying on the physical machine and each of the other 2 ips one for each virtual machine ?

This server will run a database of our tracking company, and both virtual machines one gateway each (that receives information of track devices), should I load balancing 3 ips before entering to physical and virtual machines? Or how can I set one ip for each virtual machine?

Today we use several servers in the cloud , however we are in expansion and acquired a dedicated server due to increased performance and power supply our expansion.

Thank you!

August 28th, 2015 8:35am

typically you would have a firewall and forward traffic to internal ip addresses of the virtual servers, this would protect the servers with a firewall. If your physical server is hooked directly to the internet and you have the hyperv role installed, the physical machine will have a virtual network adapter and the physical adapter will become a virtual switch, the three ip addresses will still be assigned to the physical server but through a virtual adapter, you don't want to assign ip addresses to a physical adapter once it is added to the hyperv role. so now if you want to have three vm's with these three external  addresses you would create the three VM's add the virtual adapter that is connected to the "WAN" virtual switch, i'll call it, then assign the ip address to the virtual adapter in each of the VM's throught the vm's os. These VM's can also have a LAN ip address on a separate virtual network card. in this configuration if you don't want to use the physical server on the internet using a public address or don't have enough addresses to add this server you can disable the virtual adapter that is attached to the "WAN" virtual switch, the physical server could then still get to internet through a gateway/firewall but it would not have a public ip address assigned to it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 8:49am

Cassiano,

It depends of if the Network is the same for all IP's or not.

If the Network is the same:

Create a virtual switch called "WAN" and click the Checkbox: "Allow Management OS to share that Network Adapter".

This results in the physical Adapter having disabled all protocols but "Hyper-V extensible Switch".

Instead you find a new networkadapter "vEthernet ..."  - configure that for the physical host.

To each VM, add a virtual Network Adapter in hyper V Manager and connect it to Switch WAN.

Inside the VM, configure the Network Adapter for that special VM.

If the Networks are different, i would create a virtual Switch for each Network and set a distinct VLAN ID. You should get these from LocaWeb as they need to route by using that id. 

The rest is as above; The Switch which serves the physical machine needs  "Allow Management OS to share that Network Adapter", all other must have that cleared.

Using that approach you are prepared for additional VM's that need to talk to the physical machine.

• Edited by s_run 17 hours 42 minutes ago
August 28th, 2015 9:14am

Here is a classic post that has helped a lot of people understand the basic networking within Hyper-V - http://blogs.technet.com/b/jhoward/archive/2008/06/16/how-does-basic-networking-work-in-hyper-v.aspx  I would suggest reading this post first before trying to work through the above answers.  It makes the answers easier to understand.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 5:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics