Hyper V3 (server 2012) HCL

Hi,

Would anyone know where I can locate the HCL for hyper v on server 2012?  I cannot get any of my network cards working when using Hyper V but can with the full server installation.

Thanks,

Paul

January 4th, 2013 5:12pm

http://www.windowsservercatalog.com

Maybe if you could give a little bit of a description of your problem we could provide some assistance.  In general, the presence of Hyper-V has no effect whatsoever on the operation of network cards.  The one exception I have seen has to do with wireless cards, which you will not find in the catalog because wireless cards are not considered server-type products.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 4th, 2013 6:50pm

Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply.  

What I'm seeing is that when I do the full installation of windows 2012 I can configure networking but if I enable the Hyper V role (on this same server) or do the free hyper v 2012 installation again on same server rebuilt, I'm told that there are no network cards available in the svconfig following roll installation / boot up.

January 4th, 2013 6:57pm

Hi Paul

Which network adapters are you using?  I was able to get both the intel 82579b and 82583v to actually work on both Hyper-V and Server 2012 even though they are not supported by Intel!

Tim

January 4th, 2013 11:05pm

I have never seen the installation of the Hyper-V role remove a NIC.  And, you should not use hvconfig (I don't think you mean svconfig, as that is for SNA configuration from a long time ago) on Windows Server with the Hyper-V role.  You simply continue to manage the physical network with the same tools you would use without Hyper-V installed.  The only difference comes to when you use Hyper-V Manager to create virtual switches, which will change the physical NICs into virtual switches, but that is working with the originally found NICs.  In fact, if you configure the networking before adding the Hyper-V role, and then you create a virtual switch on a NIC, the network settings are transferred to the vnic presented to the host from the virtual switch.

So, maybe some screen shots or specific steps of what you have done and what you are seeing would be helpful, as well as the hardware you are

January 5th, 2013 2:17am

Guys, thank you.  It turned out to be my own stupidity as the NICs were connected properly at the switch side, once sorted all worked.

Regards,

Paul

January 8th, 2013 2:50pm

How did you manage to get the 82583V to work on Server 2012? I am Having this issue at the moment and can not seem to get it to take.
July 2nd, 2013 10:21am

Hi Travis,  I didn't have to do anything - it just worked pnp for me
July 3rd, 2013 4:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics