Hyper-v cannot be installed because of SLAT missing

Hi all

Windows 8 does not installs hyper-v. It grays "hyper-v core" and says it cannot be installed because the processor does not have a second level address translation capabilities.

This Lenovo R61 had installed before the 2.0 hyper-v and it was ok. Is this because o SLAT?

Below is the output of coreinfo. Read on some link from this forum that the windows 8 desktop needs SLAT but the server version does not.

My main server for virtualization is Core 2 Duo E8400... so I'm a bit worried of the future. I want my Core 2 Duo processors to still use Hyper-V 3 at least!

By the way, it installs ok on my i7 720QM and is running perfectly. But notice, it does not have EPT!!!

Thanks

Adelino

Lenovo R61

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
HYPERVISOR      -       Hypervisor is present
VMX             *       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT             -       Supports Intel extended page tables

ACER Aspire 8942

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
HYPERVISOR      *       Hypervisor is present
VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT             -       Supports Intel extended page

September 20th, 2011 9:57pm

The Hyper-V Client (what ships with the Windows 8 Client OS) requires SLAT.

Hyper-V Server (what ships with the Windows 8 Server OS) does not.

One reason is to give a high end graphics experience for Developers that are using the Client version of Hyper-V for development work.

This was mentioned in BUILD session TOOL-455

If you were running Hyper-V with Server 2008 or 2008 R2 you were running the equivalent of Windows 8 Server and its flavor of Hyper-V.  Therefore SLAT was not required.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 20th, 2011 10:23pm

Thank you.
September 20th, 2011 11:47pm

You know here we go again windows 7 xp-mode required the virtual pieces in the processor then relaxed the requirement after release.

It must happen again, I was stuck on that feature of windows 7 and my old Xeons. I had 2 3.6 ghz and 8gb ram great box for windows 7.

I have since upgraded way before windows 8 to dual, quad core Xeons 2.83 ghz and 16gb ram. More than enough horse power to run win 8 and a couple vm's

But now here I am again, I do understand the statement above. BUT REQUIRED? come on if SLAT is present great use it if not then you do get all the extra uumpf of having it.

What am I forced to go get software from VMware now?

Come on MS you must keep your user base in mind.

Again the requirement is bogus, SLAT for developers to get "high end graphics experience" I know our dev don't need that we just need a machine up and running. Not everyone codes for games. We are web app dev team. 

I am not a developer but I test all that our developers code. I need to have a running VM or 2 for testing legacy OS's/browsers

August 28th, 2012 12:39pm

I am going to second that.  I was running VMware Player (Free) on my Vista box.  I skipped 7 on this box and went to 8... While I primarily use VMware 4/5 at work I thought, why not just use the Native HyperV at home for studying.  Then I ran into the SLAT issue.  Yes I only have a quad core with 8GB of ram, and yes I can only run about 3 windows 2012 servers while playing COD with no issues so why would I be so nave as to think I could do the same thing with HyperV that I do with VMware Player?  Come on MS...  Who exactly do you think your customer base is anyways?  .... I thought you were pressing hard to get people to use HyperV.  Let me tell you something; your strategy isn't working as well as it could be.
October 15th, 2013 6:04am

Same here.  Used VMware Workstation for many years until Hyper-v was an option.  Mainly just for alternate OS testing on a workstation or new application installs to evaluate in a NAT session.  In the last few years hyper-v looked promising.  Now the need for SLAT sends me right back to VMware as the option.  Windows 8 ability to even just 1-2 VM's should not require SLAT.  Make it optional so we do not need to use Server 2008 R2/2012 as a workstation for Hyper-v support.  Sad move Microsoft.   Makes ESX and VMware stronger in the daily tech world.
  • Edited by MikePoint Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:12 AM
October 26th, 2013 12:52am

I can assure you that there are valid reasons to require SLAT to run Hyper-V in the client OS. If you had been around in the early days (before SLAT was common) and heard the complaints about video performance you would know why it is required.

October 26th, 2013 10:23pm

I can assure you that there are valid reasons to require SLAT to run Hyper-V in the client OS. If you had been around in the early days (before SLAT was common) and heard the complaints about video performance you would know why it is required.

November 23rd, 2013 8:07am

Believe it or not - some people want to run a VM without any graphic interface - just plain cmd line access on different linux versions is what I need for test purposes. Seems I'll have to look for a different hypervisor ...
April 6th, 2014 5:48pm

If you are running an OS as a virtual machine - you will need some type of console for that VM.

Even the Linux hypervisor - KVM and xen have VM consoles.But there are many different types and versions of hypervisors.

Hyper-V is a type 1 hypervisor - it directly contacts the bare metal and everything else runs on top of it - as does ESX, as does xen and OracleVM - they all require VT on the CPU.  Not all require SLAT.  But, you have to remotely manage / access the console of your VMs.

Type 2 hypervisors work without VT / SLAT - the run on top of some other OS - VirtualBox, VMware Workstation.

KVM is a type of hybrid - it does not sit clearly into either of these, but is closer to a type 1.

April 6th, 2014 5:56pm

The Hyper-V Client (what ships with the Windows 8 Client OS) requires SLAT.

Hyper-V Server (what ships with the Windows 8 Server OS) does not.

One reason is to give a high end graphics experience for Developers that are using the Client version of Hyper-V for development work.

This was mentioned in BUILD session TOOL-455

If you were running Hyper-V with Server 2008 or 2008 R2 you were running the equivalent of Windows 8 Server and its flavor of Hyper-V.  Therefore SLAT was not required.

September 5th, 2015 5:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics