Hyper-V and multiple public IP adresses (subnet)
I am running a Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V. To assign to some of my VM's a public IP I have ordered a subnet. The physical server has only one NIC. My data center provider has the security restriction that they route all the traffic for the main IP of the server (not in the subnet) as well as the subnet to the MAC address of the physical NIC. This has the implication that I cannot run VMs in bridged mode. However, to assign each VM a public IP they proposed me to use RRAS, but I am not sure how this can be done. I have played around a bit and could successfully set up a virtual NAT with RRAS but it is not really what I want. I would rather like to have all packets for a specific public IP routed to the VM directly. I think this can be achieved (I just don't know how ;)) but I am not a network expert so please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks!
October 25th, 2011 3:36am

Yes, NAT is what you want. You then allocate your public IPs to an address pool in RRAS and use one to one mapping in NAT to map the public IPs to the vms. Bill I have tried NAT to route port 3389 for different public IP adresses to different VM's. However, it seems that you can only use one NAT rule per port, e.g. differentiating the private VM depending on the public IP for the same port does not work: Public IP A, Port 3389 -> Private IP I Public IP B, Port 3389 -> Private IP II This setup does not work for me, whereas it works if I have only configured one of these rules.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 27th, 2011 5:13am

Great! I think this is exactly what I want, but where can I find this feature in RRAS? Thanks a lot for your help!
October 28th, 2011 12:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics