Hyper-V and Server 2012 Project where 2 small biz are consolidating...Please HELP

This is for a small business in two different locations who recenltly merged and have a total of about 50-60 users.  I was brought on to consolidate and virtualize their physical servers. They have 2 - Server 2012 Servers with Hyper-V already installed. Currently they run a mix of Physical Small Business Server 2011 and Server 2003 and Server 2008. This is the new Hyper-V Server thats already in place.

2 Hyper-V Machines- Dell PowerEdge R520
Both have Server 2012 Enterprise with Hyper-V role installed
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2450 0 @ 2.10GHz
16GB RAM Each
4 x Broadcom NICs
4TB NAS

-Both Hyper-Vs are setup as Domain Controllers but have no VMs currently.

-Site One Currently: Server 2008 is DC and File and Application Server

-Site Two Curently: SMS 2011 is DC, Sharepoint, Application, and File Server

-Each site also has their own Exchange Servers which is going to be migrating to Office 365

-SQL Server 2008R2 and Terminal Services Server 2003 are also in place in one site.

-They also want to have DFS setup between the 2 Hyper-V Servers. 

I am getting confused because, for one, I'm new at doing this and I have been reading so many docs and forums and watching videos that although there are best practices, there's a number of ways to go about this task. I guess I'm hoping for a little push in the right direction. My plan was to create a seperate VM in each Hyper-V for Application and File Server; Another for Sharepoint. I'm getting confused because where would AD go? All recommendations are that they should not be on the Hyper-V Server. Would that be a seperate VM or on a seperate physical box?  And is the hardware listed above for the Hyper-V sufficient? I'm concerned the Memory may not be sufficient. Also, we don't have System Center Installed, just Hyper-V Manager on the HyperV Servers. Is that enough to manage the small numbe rof VMs? Or do I need to console and manage from a seperate machine?

Sorry if this isn't enough information. I'm new to Hyper-V and virtualization. Thanks in advance and any help or guidance is appreciated.

• Edited by Raji14 Friday, November 22, 2013 9:28 PM
November 23rd, 2013 12:12am

Hi,

First, you will must have a lot work to do, consider the form of the forum often have the large delay, I suggest you open an online support or request your soft vendor help for that merged.

Base on my experience, the first thing you need to list the subnet of two site, find out the conflict IP and the different subnet, then resolve the routing issue.

Second is consider the merged often have little time to come true. You must trust two domain.

More information:

Support for Microsoft Windows Server

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1163

Domain Trust

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961481.aspx

Creating External Trusts

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816837(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 26th, 2013 4:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics