Hyper-V VM Generation 2

Hello

I'm installing Windows Server R2 foundation in a Vm Generation 2. 

I can create the VM and start de setup. When setup is finished, it has to start de VM, and when it restarts, I get the error "Innaccessible_boot_device". 

I believe it's a problem to write the boot sector, and so the disk can't start, but I don't know why.

If I try to install Windows Server Foundation in a VM Generation 1, and that works fine, but it doesn't recognise the mouse.

Any ideas?

Best regards

Jose Braganca

September 6th, 2015 6:07pm

Jose what OS version R2 are you installing?  if older than 2012 you will need Generation 1 since you need to use IDE boot vs. SCSI which is the default in Generation 2.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 8:43pm

Hi Jose,

as Micky already pointed out, Windows Server 2012 (R2) is supported as Gen2 VM.

Everything lower has to be created as Gen1 VM.

Best Regards,
Jens

September 7th, 2015 3:43am

Hi

Sorry I  forgot to mencioned.

The version is 2012 R2.

Best regards 

Jose 

September 7th, 2015 5:13am

Go into the settings of the VM and under firmware ensure that the Boot from File option is listed first.  It should be pointing to something like bootingfw.efi.
September 7th, 2015 5:55pm

That is the first option.  The only difference is that you mencioned bootIngfw.efi and mine is bootmgfw.efi.

Could this be the reason?

Best regards

Jose Bragana

September 7th, 2015 6:17pm

That is the first option.  The only difference is that you mencioned bootIngfw.efi and mine is bootmgfw.efi.

Could this be the reason?

Best regards

Jose Bragana

September 7th, 2015 10:17pm

I have bad eyesight.  Mine is BOOTMGFW.efi, too.  I mistook 'mg' to be 'ing'.
September 8th, 2015 7:58pm

Jose is this a brand new installation of a VM or are you doing a conversation of some sort? Just to confirm your Host Server is Windows 2012 R2 and the (new) VM is Windows 2012 R2 Foundation Server? Can you test creating a new 2012 R2 Standard Edition Generation 2 VM on your Host Server and see if it boots correctly? 

September 9th, 2015 9:56am

Hello Micky

This is a brand new installation. I confirm my Host Server is Windows 2012 R2 and I already installed a VM Generation 2 with WIndows Server 2012 R2, and it works fine.

I also downloaded a new ISO of Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation, but the result is the same.

I don't know what else can I do.

Best regards

Jose Braganca

September 11th, 2015 1:50pm

This is strange. I belive you confimed it would booot and run fine as Generation 1  correct?

Do you have the resources to install on a win 8.1 client and see if you get the same results?

Can you send me a link to the ISO and I will try a quick install.

September 12th, 2015 6:09am

If this is Windows 2012 R2 Foundation Server (not Essentials) I believe it will not run as a virtual machine.

Applies To: Windows Server 2012 Foundation, Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation

Virtual image use rights: None; cannot host virtual machines or be used as a guest operating system in a virtual machine.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj679892.aspx

Perhaps the documentation has been updated - but unless you see something about support as a Guest VM I would think it is not doable.

September 12th, 2015 4:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics