Hyper-V Server 2012 with Zambezi AMD FX-Series - Hardware assisted virtualization not present

Hi, I'm trying to set up VDI across Windows Server 2012 VMs running on Hyper-V 2012.

The wizard's compatibility check for the Virtualization Host server failed with "Hardware-assisted virtualization is not present on the server".

I'm running an FX-8120 CPU and have the ASUS M5A97 motherboard. 

I know I'm supposed to enable No-Execute (Hyper-V Hardware Considerations) but I cannot find that or any other synonyms of it in my motherboards UEFI BIOS (NX, XD, EVP, XN... nothing). 

I found this:

PAE/NX/SSE2 Support Requirement Guide for Windows 8

which in short says "Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 requires that systems must have processors that support NX, and NX must be turned on for important security safeguards to function effectively and avoid potential security vulnerabilities."

this leads me to believe NX is on by default if I was able to get this far and install Hyper-V 2012 and Windows Server 2012..

Also I tried to disable AVX in cmd with "bcdedit /set xsavedisable 1". Did not resolve

My processor is Zambezi FX-8120 and also supports RVI/SLAT:
processor: Newegg Processor FX-8120
support proof: AMD Processors with Rapid Virtualization Indexing Required to Run Hyper-V in Windows 8

What going on here? I bought this CPU specifically after I had the same problems with an older AMD Athelon II and made sure to buy one with AMD-V and RVI.
I'm aware my MB is not a server motherboard, but I was trying to spend as little as possible to retrofit my home rig into a lab deployment. I've read a VMWare thread where someone successfully set up nested virtualization using ESXi5 with an FX-8120 and a cheap $65 Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 ... Hyper-V has been a pain the whole way through from setting up remote management and now this. 

If someone suspects it's my MB can you also make a suggestion as to what features I should be looking for in a new one? NX, IOMMU, some other virtualization feature?
If you've had  similar set up, perhaps recommend an MB? Not looking to spend that much $150 max.

Thank you

• Edited by techtalk7 Sunday, November 11, 2012 8:51 PM
November 11th, 2012 3:00am

Hi,

1.Use the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool to determine whether your processor supports the HAV feature. To download this tool, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Download the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool

2.If your processor supports HAV but this feature is not enabled, the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool shows the following error message:

Collapse this imageExpand thisTo enable this feature in BIOS, follow the instruction in the following Microsoft Web site:
How to enable the HAV feature in BIOS

3.If your processor does not support the HAV feature, the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool shows the following error message:

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Error message about hardware-assisted virtualization for Windows XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC on a computer that is running Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977206
Hyper-V: Windows hypervisor must be running
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee941154(v=WS.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2012 7:34am

Thank you, HAV is not compatible with Windows 8 or Server 2012. Instead I used CoreInfo  (coreinfo.exe) to view my virtualization settings. It output 

So basically, it says SVM is not supported meanwhile I had SVM enabled in the UEFI. I guess that's the end of the road with this processor, way to go AMD. Lesson: AMD-V != SVM and just because SVM is an option in the BIOS does not mean jack! Take care.

Note: I WAS able to create Hyper-V Virtual Machines, I just could not convert one of those machines to a Virtualization Host... I guess this has to do with nested virtualization support, that which this processor does not have.

• Edited by techtalk7 Monday, November 19, 2012 7:28 PM
November 17th, 2012 5:54am

techtalk70,

I don't know if this has anything to do with your VDI problem or not, but some months ago I had a system with an AMD FX-8150 CPU and an MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard.  I ran into several compatibility problems with Hyper-V Server 2012.  I'm using the the non-GUI version of Hyper-V 2012.  (I wasn't sure if you were using the full version or not?)

Some of the problems I hit looked like they were related to the fact that .NET 3.5 (as I recall) isn't installed by default.  At the time I wasn't able to find a way to get it installed and gave up and bought an Intel motherboard and CPU.

I don't recall the exact steps, but I later realized it is possible to use a remote connection to the Hyper-V Server 2012 and install .NET 3.5 for those applications which may need it.

Not sure if your VDI tools needs .NET, but thought I would mention this just in

November 27th, 2012 6:23pm

Note: I WAS able to create Hyper-V Virtual Machines, I just could not convert one of those machines to a Virtualization Host... I guess this has to do with nested virtualization support, that which this processor does not have.

Hyper-V does not support nesting of VMs, that has nothing to do with ypur CPU or matter which CPU you have, you can't nest VMs in Hyper-V.
November 27th, 2012 7:00pm

I agree with Steve. The OP mentions that they see nested VMs on ESXi but not Hyper-V. As Steve points out, Hyper-V does not support nested VMs. Other virtualization products do. 
January 4th, 2013 9:29pm

Todd,

So the conclusion is, we cannot install RDS on virtual server on Hyper-V? we must have physical server in order to setup VDI server correct?

July 19th, 2014 9:22pm

Check out my article, this would help to resolve your problem.

http://kunaludapi.blogspot.in/2012/05/get-hyperv-working-in-vmware.html

September 6th, 2015 12:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics