Hyper-V R3 and Datalink Layer

Running Windows 8 Pro (x64) With Hyper-V installed.
Trying to talk from a VM (Windows 7 Pro, x86) to some equipment using PN-DCP (Profinet Discovery and Configuration Protocol), ref
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_and_Configuration_Protocol
http://wiki.wireshark.org/PROFINET/DCP

I cannot get this working. Using a physical machine with the same OS and the same Application running the PN-DCP everything is ok.
I suspect that non-IP protocols are not Hyper-V's best friends.

Does Hyper-V (R3 ?) on Windows 8 support these kind of protocols (Layer 2 ?).
If not, any workaround ?

March 12th, 2013 6:56am

Hi,

I cant even find Profinet Discovery and Configuration Protocol (PN-DCP) in Microsoft website.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this question.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 13th, 2013 3:09am

Running Windows 8 Pro (x64) With Hyper-V installed.
Trying to talk from a VM (Windows 7 Pro, x86) to some equipment using PN-DCP (Profinet Discovery and Configuration Protocol), ref
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_and_Configuration_Protocol
http://wiki.wireshark.org/PROFINET/DCP

I cannot get this working. Using a physical machine with the same OS and the same Application running the PN-DCP everything is ok.
I suspect that non-IP protocols are not Hyper-V's best friends.

Does Hyper-V (R3 ?) on Windows 8 support these kind of protocols (Layer 2 ?).
If not, any workaround ?

FCoE and ATA-over-Ethernet (both "sit" on a Data Link layer aka raw Ethernet) work fine from inside a VM with our initiator software. So I guess it's something else (configuration issue?) and not incompatibility out-of-box you mention...
March 13th, 2013 3:51am

PN-DCP is not a Microsoft protocol.
The protocol is probably unknown to most people, but used by some people in the process automation world (probably without even knowing it).
I did include some wiki like references to this protocol "description".

March 13th, 2013 8:10pm

Thanks, any idea of possible configuration issues ?

As soon as I lined up a physical w7 machine, the software worked perfectly, but not from Hyper-V VM (or the Hyper-V host for that matter, but that is really just another virtual machine as well AFAIK).

Could you please inform of your setting for physical NIC's, virtual NIC's and Virtual switch ?
Manufacturer/type of NIC ?

To be frank, I never tested this before I installed Hyper-V on the W8 machine, however I just replaced the physical NIC in question to another type (both are Intel though), no change.

Sniffing (using a switch with port monitor/mirroring) indicates that the packet(s) never leave the physical NIC, how to trace where in the protocol stack/virtual switch etc. they are lost ?

March 13th, 2013 8:17pm

Start with the basics first.  Does your IP networking from the VM work as expected?  If that isn't working, it doesn't make sense to try to debug PN-DCP.  You also might want to talk to the owners of that to see what their take on it is.  Does it take a shim driver to insert something into the stack?  If so, I doubt that you would be able to install that within a VM.
March 13th, 2013 10:44pm

I am sorry for not mentioning that IP traffic is working perfect (and fast) on this (virtual)adapter, via the virtual switch to the NIC and further to other endpoints (e.g. ping).

I just cannot make non-IP traffic passing through.
Both Wireshark and NetMon capture the outbound packet, but sniffing the physical NIC shows nothing (neither via a physical switch with port monitoring/mirroring.

Could you please hint me one step further ?

As I mentioned earlier, it works perfect using a physical (non-VM) W/ machine on the same network, indicating that something is wrong with the virtual switch or adapter (or parameters/setup ditto), however I tried various settings on these (virtual switch does not have many settings though).

Additional info: I think winpcap is used for transmitting and receving these packets.

• Edited by EuroEager Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:26 PM
March 13th, 2013 11:03pm

Hi ,

In this scenario, the application is generating an 802.1Q frame directly, not following Windows/NDIS conventions for generating VLAN/Priority packets and not using Ieee8021QNetBufferListInfo, which is not supported.

A potential workaround:

run the following Powershell cmdlet:

Set-VMNetworkAdapter VMName foo IeeePriorityTag on

Then please let me know the result if this works. Thanks.

March 18th, 2013 4:37am

Thanks for your effort Aaron

However it didn't work (I tried restarting host as well).

March 18th, 2013 1:09pm

Hi ,

Are you using a legacy network adapter? If so, use a network adapter instead? I have reported this to the Hyper-V group and they are aware of this.

Thanks.  

March 21st, 2013 6:17am

I use only "Network Adapter", no "Legacy Network Adapter".
March 21st, 2013 1:44pm

Did anyone ever get this to work?
April 11th, 2015 9:59am

Not me at least, I gave up and now use only physical machine when this functionality is needed (not too often though)
April 11th, 2015 10:42am

Thanks - I do the same (also not too often)
April 11th, 2015 1:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics