Hyper-V Manager in Win 7 cannot connect to Hyper-V Server 2012 R2

I can use the Hyper-V Manager in Windows 8.1 to connect my newly installed Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 - everything fine.

However, I cannot use the Hyper-V Manager in Windows 7 and Windows Vista to connect the same Server.

It just shows "Connecting to Virtual Machine Management Service ..."
Then "The operation on computer 'HYPERV' failed." - HYPERV is the computer name of the Hyper-V Server Core 2012 R2.

At the Win 7 and Vista clients, run the script [cscript hvremote.wsf /target:hyperv /show] shows everything PASS except the below warning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 warning or error was found in the configuration. Review the 
detailed output above to determine whether you need to take further action.
Summary is below.

1: You are attempting to connect to a newer version of Hyper-V. 
  While some remote management *may* be possible, you should use a 
  matching operating system version on the client for full 
  management capabilities.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run the script [cscript hvremote.wsf /show] at the Win 7 and Vista clients show everything fine.

Any help?
Thanks.

February 21st, 2014 3:41am

You can manage Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 from a computer running Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1. In previous releases, you could not connect to and manage a down-level version of Hyper-V. A solution was to create a remote desktop session to a down-level server running Hyper-V and run the Hyper-V management operating system from within the remote desktop session. This solution required that Remote Desktop Services was running and properly configured, and the solution was not viable when Hyper-V was installed on Server Core installation.

Also you can use 5nine Manager for Hyper-V.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282278.as

February 21st, 2014 5:29am

Thanks for your information.

5nine Manager for Hyper-V is a paid software.  Is there any free replacement of the Hyper-V Manager able to be run under Win 7 or Vista as a remote management client to manage Hyper-V Server 2012 R2?  Like to case of VSphere Client for VMWARE ESXi.

February 21st, 2014 7:23am

There is 5nine Manager Free Edition but with limitation

http://www.5nine.com/5nine-manager-for-hyper-v-product.aspx#compare

Veeam ONE Veeam ONE Free Edition  (see restrictions)

Probus-IT Hyper-V Manager (ProHVM) ( It's FREE for personal use!)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2014 7:36am

Hi all!

Most folks I know use vtUtilities ( _http://vttechnology.com/Products/vtUtilities ) for that purpose.

You can manage Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 (as well as 2012 and 2008 R2 ) from Windows 7 with it, no limitations features-wise. 

February 21st, 2014 2:11pm

Absolutely, this has been discussed here many times before.

The client version and the server version should match to be able to manage the full feature set.  Otherwise you will get a reduced Hyper-V feature set.  (It has always been this way).

This is due to changes in the management stack of the Windows kernel itself through each release, as well as a WMI virtualization namespace change that happened during the release of 2012.

Windows 8 can managed a reduced set of features of 2012 R2, and a complete set of features of 2012.

Older client OSes can manage a reduced set of features from 2012 and older (until the client and server release match).

This has absolutely nothing to do with hvremote, it has everything to do with the version of the RSAT tools.

February 21st, 2014 4:06pm

Thanks.

So I have some VM Guests in a VMWare ESXi.

How should I V2V the VM Guests to file folders so that I can copy the folders to a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2?

The VMware ESXi and the Hyper-V Server are in different networks.

My feeling, (ESXi + VSphere Client + VMware Converter) are more user-friendly than
(Hyper-V Server Core + Hyper-V Manager + Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter)

February 26th, 2014 7:36am

Well, this is REALLY bizarre! I have spent about two days researching this problem before I finally found this thread. Among the sources of frustration is the complete lack of error messages in either the client or the server event logs.

This may have been "discussed here many times before" but I guarantee you that a full day of searching TechNet (with Bing) for all sorts of permutations of "Hyper-v Manager" "Windows 7" and "Hyper-v Server 2012" came up with NOTHING until I stumbled across this thread. It's as though Microsoft's flagship "VMware Killer" is supported exclusively by rumor and conversation. At the all-day Virtualization IT Camp there was not the merest whisper of this project-killing limitation.

So, if you have a server room with several 2008 and 2008 R2 Hyper-V servers, your only option is to stay on 2008 R2 until the end of time, or else bulldoze the server room and install all new systems at one go? And, if you're unfortunate enough to work in a corporate environment where your workstations are on Windows 7, Hyper-V 2012 R2 is not available, period? The lesson here, as so often before, seems to be that Microsoft has zero loyalty to its early adopters.

The good news is, it's easy to erase the Hyper-v 2012 server and reinstall 2008 R2, so I can actually get some work done.

February 28th, 2014 9:57pm

Is there a version of "the RSAT tools" for Windows 7 clients to allow these clients to manage Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 ?

If not are you saying that there is no way for a Windows 7 client to manage a Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 ?

And are you saying that there is no reliable way for a Windows Desktop clients to manage Hyper-V Servers, except when the Desktop Hyper-V Manager version happens to match the Hyper-V server?

August 29th, 2015 6:41am

Yes. That was the impact of a wmi interface change during 2012.

Win7 can manage 2008 and 2008 r2, and older features of 2012. But not 2012 r2 nor later.

August 29th, 2015 9:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics