Hyper-V Manager - 'name' could not initialize.

I'm sure this must be obvious, but I'm just starting to try out Hyper-V hence don't know where to look for more information.

I've installed Windows Server 2008 R2, turned on virtualization support in the BIOS, added the Hyper-V role and tried to create a VM, but when I try to start it, all I get is a window that says "An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine(s). 'name' could not initialize.' If I expand the details, the only extra information is the machine id.

I've looked in the event logs and can't see anything relevant, so where do I go to find out what is preventing Hyper-V from starting the VM? I assume that a more detailed explanation (or at least an error number) is logged somewhere!

By the way, the Best Practices Analyzer reports 3 warnings:

• Hyper-V should be the only enabled role
  • The Server Core installation option is recommended for servers running Hyper-V
  • Dynamic virtual hard disks are not recommended for virtual machines that run server workloads in a production environment

As far as I can see, none of these should prevent the VMs from initializing.

Thanks.

July 7th, 2010 3:20pm

Please provide screenshoot if you can for the error

also The following actions may help you resolve the problem:

1) Verify that the processor of the physical computer has a supported version of hardware-assisted virtualization.

2) Verify that hardware-assisted virtualization and hardware-assisted data execution protection are enabled
   in the BIOS of the physical computer.

(If you edit the BIOS to enable either setting, you must turn off the power to the physical computer and then turn it back on.
   Resetting the physical computer is not sufficient.)

3) If you have made changes to the Boot Configuration Data store, review these changes to ensure
   that the hypervisor is configured to launch automatically.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2010 4:14pm

While I do want to resolve the problem, I'd also like to know where to look for further information, which is why I asked if there was anywhere additional details of the reason for the failure to initialize were logged. I'd like to learn as well as just fix the problem.

1) The processor(s) are Intel E5620(s). These support Intel VT-x (the machine is a Dell E510).

2) I checked that hardware virtualization is on. I'm not sure there is an option for hardware DEP. I'll need to check. In any event, I would have thought that this was something that Hyper-V should report as an error if it's not enabled. Where would I find such a report?

(I don't recall whther the machine was power-cycled after changing the BIOS. I'll check later)

3) No changes have been made to BCD data since the server OS was installed.

As mentioned, I'll check the BIOS and power-cycle the machine later, but, as above, I would have thought that if VT-x was disable, Hyper-V should log this fact and completely fail to start. A vague and cryptic message when trying to start the VM is really very poor.

July 7th, 2010 4:58pm

to get more information about DEP please refer to MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912923

To use the graphical user interface to determine whether DEP is available, follow these steps:

1. Click Start , click Run , type wbemtest in the Open box, and then click OK .
  2. In the Windows Management Instrumentation Tester dialog box, click Connect .
  3. In the box at the top of the Connect dialog box, type root\cimv2 , and then click Connect .
  4. Click Enum Instances .
  5. In the Class Info dialog box, type Win32_OperatingSystem in the Enter superclass name box, and then click OK .
  6. In the Query Result dialog box, double-click the top item.

Note This item starts with "Win32_OperatingSystem.Name=Microsoft..."
  7. In the Object editor dialog box, locate the DataExecutionPrevention_Available property in the Properties area.
  8. Double-click DataExecutionPrevention_Available .
  9. In the Property Editor dialog box, note the value in the Value box.

If the value is TRUE, hardware DEP is available.

for Hyper-V logs please check http://fawzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/

July 7th, 2010 5:16pm

to get more information about DEP please refer to MS KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912923

To use the graphical user interface to determine whether DEP is available, follow these steps:

1. Click Start , click Run , type wbemtest in the Open box, and then click OK .
  2. In the Windows Management Instrumentation Tester dialog box, click Connect .
  3. In the box at the top of the Connect dialog box, type root\cimv2 , and then click Connect .
  4. Click Enum Instances .
  5. In the Class Info dialog box, type Win32_OperatingSystem in the Enter superclass name box, and then click OK .
  6. In the Query Result dialog box, double-click the top item.

Note This item starts with "Win32_OperatingSystem.Name=Microsoft..."
  7. In the Object editor dialog box, locate the DataExecutionPrevention_Available property in the Properties area.
  8. Double-click DataExecutionPrevention_Available .
  9. In the Property Editor dialog box, note the value in the Value box.

If the value is TRUE, hardware DEP is available.

for Hyper-V logs please check http://fawzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/hyper-v-event-logs-and-what-it-represents/

I understand that you can not start any VM on your servers ..Please correct me if I am wrong

July 7th, 2010 5:16pm

Thanks for the reply. I checked the BIOS and virtualization is enabled, but I couldn't see a flag for DEP. I power cycled anyway.

I then ran wmic:

DataExecutionPrevention_Available
TRUE
DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

I've also checked all the logs again after attempting to start a VM (once at 9:52 and again at 10:15). These are the log entries for today.

Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Config
 0 Admin
 0 Operational
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Hypervisor
 0 Admin
 26 Operational
  9:52 Error[8451]: Hyper-V failed creating a new partition (status 11)
  9:52 Information[16641]: Hyper-V successfully created a new partition (partition 2)
  9:52 Information[16642]: Hyper-V deleted a partition (partition 2)
  10:15 Information[16641]: Hyper-V successfully created a new partition (partition 3)
  10:15 Information[16642]: Hyper-V deleted a partition (partition 3)
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Image-Management-Service
 15 Admin records
  9:47 Information[15200]: The Hyper-V Image management service started.
 2 Operational (Not from today)
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Integration
 0 Admin
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Network
 8 Admin (Not from today)
 0 Operational
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-SynthNic
 0 Admin
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-SynthStor
 0 Admin
 0 Operational
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-VMMS
 108 Admin
  9:47 Information[14094]: Vitual Machine Management service is started successfully.
  9:47 Information[19020]: The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiInstanceAndMethodProvider' has started.
  9:47 Information[19020]: The WMI provider 'VmmsWmiEventProvider' has started.
  9:47 Error[14050]: Failed to register service principal name.
  9:47 Information[19500]: The Integration Services Setup Disk image ws successfully updated.
  9:48 Information[19500]: The Integration Services Setup Disk image ws successfully updated.
Microsoft:Windows:Hyper-V-Worker
 12 Admin
  9:52 Error[3040]: 'test1' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID 47C4A1F4-5A7F-49F1-A8F4-51A0BCCEB196)
  10:15 Error[3040]: 'test1' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID 47C4A1F4-5A7F-49F1-A8F4-51A0BCCEB196)

There are no other Hyper-V log entries that I can see.

Regarding the [14050] error (Failed to register service principal name). I checked the AD permissions and both SELF and SYSTEM have 'Validated write to service prinicipal name' which appears from a search to be the usual cause of this problem. I did find a post which suggested it may be due to a network adapter using DHCP. This machine has 4 network adapters; 2 are in use and configured with static addresses; 2 have been left disconnected and nominally using DHCP. Would this cause error [14050]? Is it a problem?

Thanks for any information to solve this.

July 8th, 2010 1:11pm

for Error 3040 Please check MS article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd581971%28WS.10%29.aspx

And http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverhyperv/thread/0c3d3d8c-f970-40c3-8cf3-8056dbd8261f

According to Microsoft :
Cause :
This event is logged when virtual machine failed to initialize in Hyper-V.
Resolution :
Retry virtual machine start
Check the environment in which the start virtual machine operation was being attempted, including:
1.access and permissions to the configuration file, memory file and all image files
2.prior error messages in the event log
3.available RAM on the system
4.configuration settings
5.disk space for the memory file and any expanding virtual hard disks
Once the necessary issues have been rectified, try to start the virtual machine again.

Also for

Error[14050]: Failed to register service principal name.

check http://techblog.mirabito.net.au/?p=230

July 8th, 2010 2:05pm

Re: [3040]

After looking at the first 2 URLs, I checked the file permissons of all the files and the machine GUID seems to have full control on all files. The VHD was just read/write, but changing it hasn't changed anything. In any event, I'm not seeing event [3072] ('Unnamed VM' could not read or update the virtual machine configuration because access was denied: General access denied error (0x80070005). Check the security settings on the folder in which the virtual machine is stored.) so I don't think it's file permissions. Is there somewhere I may have missed where this is logged? I've shown all the Hyper-V logs and there's nothing in Application/System/Security.

I can't see anything else in the event logs which may be relevant (unless it's the [14050] error). Any hints as to what I'm looking for would be helpful.

The server has 4Gb RAM and I'm trying to start a 512Mb VM, so I don't think available RAM is an issue.

Configuration settings? Presumably of the VM. They all seem very similar to the settings I've used on Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7, so can't see an obvious problem. Presumably, an error message would indicate which setting was in error?

The server has 3 'disks' with 136GB, 293Gb and 1.5Tb free, so I don't think disk space is an issue.

Re: [14050]. This is the URL I already checked which is why I said that I've already looked in AD and that both SELF and SYSTEM for the server's account record have 'Validated write to service pincipal name' set to ALLOW. Is there anything else that might cause this event?

I also tried restarting the Hyper-V Virtual Manche Management service and no new [14050] events are logged. Presumably this means it's not an issue. Unfortunately, the VM still won't start and the only event I can find is the [3040].

Surely it shouldn't be this difficult to set up a single VM on Hyper-V!

July 8th, 2010 2:49pm

I am afraid to say that but maybe you should try to uninstall and reinstall Hyper-V role
July 8th, 2010 3:31pm

Unistalled. Reinstalled. Deleted old VM & create a new one. No change. The only event I can find in the Hyper-V logs is [3040] 'could not initialise'. Presumably, I'll have to trawl through every other log to see if there's anything...

Like I said, I'm sure it's not supposed to be this difficult!

PS: I have now checked all the event ogs and can't see any additional message to explain the failure to initialize.

July 8th, 2010 5:45pm

Please check http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/winserverhyperv/thread/0c3d3d8c-f970-40c3-8cf3-8056dbd8261f

also do you have any antivirus software installed on the Hyper-V host computer?

Also you can use this tool to check VT and DEP http://www.grc.com/securabl
July 8th, 2010 7:39pm

Assuming Steve Gibson has done his usual excellent job, this seems to have found the problem!

Despite the fact that the BIOS was set to enable Virtualization Technology, Steve's tool says there is NO hardware virtualization!

This is a Dell R510 with dusl E5620 processors which is sold as a "perfect platform for virtualization". Do you know if Windows Server 2008 R2 can disable it during boot?

July 9th, 2010 6:50pm

can you please try Intel tool

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/7838/eng/pidenu24.msi&agr=N&ProductID=1881&DwnldId=7838&strOSs=All&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems&lang=eng

July 9th, 2010 7:26pm

Hi Derek

The Windows 2008 R2 do not disable the DEP during boot.

You should checkit it on the BIOS.  NOTE: By default, DEP is enabled in the BIOS of all Dell systems.

To enable hardware-assisted virtualization:

1. Press <F2> at the POST screen to go to the BIOS setup.
  2. Navigate to the CPU Information section.
  3. Press <Enter> and navigate to Virtualization Technology.
  4. Select Enabled by toggling the left and right arrow keys.
  5. Save the selection and exit the BIOS setup.

For more info, check this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/win2008/WS08_R2/en/IIG_HyperV/IIG_HypV.pdf

July 10th, 2010 3:55am

Also,

This is well documented by Dell in the same document

Unable to Create Hyper-V Virtual Machines on a Supported Dell System

Description

: Hardware-assisted virtualization is a pre-requisites for installing Hyper-V. The Hyper-V Role Configuration wizard allows you to install the Hyper-V role even if the Hardware Assisted Virtualization

(Intel-VT or AMD-V) capability is disabled in the system BIOS. When you attempt to create or start a virtual machine, you may receive an error message:

Virtual machine failed to initialize.

Solution

: To resolve this issue, enable the Virtualization Technology feature in the BIOS and reboot the system. The Hyper-V hypervisor loads successfully

July 10th, 2010 3:59am

As mentioned previously, I've done all that.

As far as I can tell, the BIOS says Virtualization Technology is enabled. However, both the GRC tool and the Intel CPU ID tool say it isn't!

The specification for the E5620 processor here (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47925) clearly says it should have Virtualization Technology so I'm puzzled.

Perhaps I should contact Dell Support. Maybe the machine is faulty?

July 12th, 2010 12:34pm

The PowerEdge 6800 and PowerEdge 6850 systems with Intel processors, identified by processor ID F48, support Hyper-V. To view the processor ID information, press <F2> during boot to access the system BIOS Setup and then navigate to System BIOS Setup→  CPU Information.

Also Download the latest BIOS version from the Dell Support website at support.dell.com

July 12th, 2010 12:58pm

I've checked the BIOS (yet again) that Virtualization is turned on. And I've checked the Dell website here (http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/enterprise/Servers/poweredge-r510/pd.aspx?refid=poweredge-r510&s=pad&cs=RC1050265) where it says the R510 supports Windows Server 2008 R2 (including Hyper-V V2) so unless anyone has any new ideas I think it's time to contact Dell.

July 12th, 2010 3:27pm

I've logged a support call with Dell. Awaiting response.
July 15th, 2010 8:09pm

Thanks for update.
July 15th, 2010 8:13pm

Any news on this? I've got exactly the same problem with an Intel Core i7 processor on an ASUS P6X58D motherboard. Evrything in the BIOS says virtualisation is turned on and the 'securable' utility is telling me it's switched off. Thanks Simon
July 21st, 2010 11:53pm

I'm sure this must be obvious, but I'm just starting to try out Hyper-V hence don't know where to look for more information.

I've installed Windows Server 2008 R2, turned on virtualization support in the BIOS, added the Hyper-V role and tried to create a VM, but when I try to start it, all I get is a window that says "An error occurred while attempting to start the selected virtual machine(s). 'name' could not initialize.' If I expand the details, the only extra information is the machine id.

I've looked in the event logs and can't see anything relevant, so where do I go to find out what is preventing Hyper-V from starting the VM? I assume that a more detailed explanation (or at least an error number) is logged somewhere!

By the way, the Best Practices Analyzer reports 3 warnings:

• Hyper-V should be the only enabled role
  • The Server Core installation option is recommended for servers running Hyper-V
  • Dynamic virtual hard disks are not recommended for virtual machines that run server workloads in a production environment

As far as I can see, none of these should prevent the VMs from initializing.

Thanks.

After you enable virtualization for the processor in your BIOS settings, do not just SAVE BIOS settings and restart. You have to PHYSICALLY POWER DOWN the computer and power it back on. This is supposing you are using Intel server virtualization technologies.

This did the trick for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

August 3rd, 2010 9:37pm

Any news on this? I've got exactly the same problem with an Intel Core i7 processor on an ASUS P6X58D motherboard. Evrything in the BIOS says virtualisation is turned on and the 'securable' utility is telling me it's switched off. Thanks Simon

I got the same problem too. I'm using sandy bridge i5 2400, motherboard asrock p67 pro3. the intel tool did not detect the vt. BIOS setting for virtualization is already turned on, xd is turned on.
January 13th, 2011 12:09pm

I got the same problem too. I'm using sandy bridge i5 2400, motherboard asrock p67 pro3. the intel tool did not detect the vt. BIOS setting for virtualization is already turned on, xd is turned on.

problem solved today by installing service pack 1 RC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

January 14th, 2011 5:06am

the same thing went for me. I just bought an Asus CG8350 with an i7-2600 in it, DEP was enabled fine and verified, VT enabled in BIOS , hyper-v role installed fine, and blank VM created fine but when i turned it on i got that error about my VM couldn't initialize.

the securables tools above shows (even now still) that VT is not available while it definately is. I just upgraded as above to win2k8 R2 SP1 RC and now it works.

Thanks.

January 29th, 2011 10:01pm

problem solved today by installing service pack 1 RC

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

Well, add me to the list of people stymied by this problem, yet solved with SP1 RC.

My brand-spanking-new machine has an Intel Core i5-2500 [Sandy Bridge] with an Asus P8H67-M Pro motherboard.  When not even the simplest VM would start, I was confused and starting to get angry at the store where I bought the machine.  Yes, Steve Gibson's excellent Securable still reports 64-Yes-No, which suggests that tool needs an update.

My VMs are booting.  Finally.

I think we all owe Derek Dongray a hearty well done for not giving up in his search for a solution in this thread.  I lost count of the number of times he essentially said "Yes, as I said before, I've tried that and it didn't work".  Also, many thanks to denshi for finally sussing out the solution.

Thanks.  First round is on me.

January 30th, 2011 2:10am

This is wierd. (not solved)

We are running a Hyper-V production enviornment with 2 host servers and 14 VM's. Both hosts are running 2008 R2.
All was running well for months!... untill we installed SP1.

The first weekend after 2008 R2 SP1 update (last weekend), users reported they couldn't connect to some database servers. After opening Hyper-V management, we saw that 3 VM's were stopped...
Nobody knows why, because this never happend. Only 3 VM's were stopped, the other VM's were still running.

EventID 3040, 'servername' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID 11FD3441-EFFA-470A-B9C4-AEACA9F90F93)
And 2 more of those events within the next 10 minutes, around 3 AM at sunday night... :S

We haven't found a solution yet. The VM's are both 2003 and 2008, so it's VM OS independant. BIOS settings never changed. The only thing we did was install SP1 on the host, and update all Integration components. That's it. Now VM's stop running on both servers.

EDIT: problem seems solved: it looks like the Hyper-V Virtual Machine Management service (vmms) MUST be started when a VM restarts. This was not necessary in SP0, because we used to stop this service before the backup (Windows Server Backup) started. If we didn't stop this service, the backup failed with a VSS error. However, we have to find another solution now, because when the vmms service is stopped, VM's can't restart!

April 1st, 2011 9:51am

Had the same issue with Dell T110ii. and fixed by SP1

Also ran into an issue where windows update would not recommend SP1 as available. Issue seemed to be that C++ update got over written when i installed DPM.

May 24th, 2011 9:32pm

An update was added to this thread so I thought I'd record the fact that Dell never did get around to fixing this. I went through everything with support and they eventually said they needed to connect remotely. After a lot of email tag they eventually closed the call without resolving the issue. I've tried to reopen to call but failed. I'm considering logging it again but it's not an urgent issue so tends to get low priority. As this machine is now in full production use, it's quite hard to schedule down time on it.

By the way, SP1 didn't fix it!
May 25th, 2011 1:20pm

Sorry to drum up such an old thread Derek, but I am experiencing the exact same issues with a R510 server and have go through almost the exact same processes you did to get this fixed, to no avail.   Since this thread is over a year old, I thought I'd take one last stab at it in hopes that you were able to identify the cause of the issue on your R510. 

I have Open Manage installed on this server, and it claims that Virtualization (VT) is enabled and the Execute Disable option is also set to "Enabled", but Hyper-V keeps throwing the same "cannot initialize Hypervisor" error.

Did you find a resolution to this issue? 

(We have Server 2008 Enterprise R2 with SP 1 installed and it still does not work).

Thanks

August 23rd, 2011 4:39am

Hi Ted

Is the server bios updated? How about the open manage is updated?

August 23rd, 2011 4:54am

Hello Alessandro,

Yes, the BIOS is updated to the lastest version (1.6.3) and open managed is the lastest version as well, downloaded directly from Dell's site. From within open Manage, it indicates that Virtualization Technology is enabled on both processors (Dual quad-cores, 32GB of RAM) so it would seem that the Open Manage thinks that it's enabled.  However, Hyper-V throws the same error each time I try to start a virtual (Hypervisor is not running).    THe "Execute Disable" option in the Processor section of the BIOS is also set to "Enable".  (I was told this needed to be set to Enabled).

These R510's don't have a lot of options to mess with in the BIOS.  Here are some screenshots of what you are able to mess with:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weillechner/5517050003/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weillechner/5517050413/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weillechner/5517640070/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/weillechner/5517640424/in/photostream/

From what I can see in the BIOS, and from what Open Manage is telling me, the Virtualization technology is enabled.  And Yes, I have completely shut down the machine, unplugged it, and restarted it several times.

I have also tried resetting the BIOS back to factory defaults;  I did this by using Dell's keyboard shortcut trick (Num Lock on, Caps Lock on, and Scroll Lock on, and hitting ALT-F while in the BIOS.  THis resets all settings back to default.  I did this, saved settings and physically turned off the machine.  Went back into the BIOS, turn Virtualization back on, ENabled "Execute Disabled" option, saved, shut down, unplugged, turned back on and booted.  Still no luck.  Same error with hypervisor not running.

I"m considering going back to a previous BIOS;  We upgraded the BIOS last week, however we had not attempted to run any virtuals (or enable virtualization technology) previously before upgrading the BIOS.   At this point, I don't know what else to try, which is why I was hoping Derek may have heard something from Dell regarding his problem.

August 23rd, 2011 4:40pm

Well folks, I finally figured out the problem. 

My issue was not due to Virtualization Technology not being enabled in the BIOS (it was) it was related to the 3rd possible cause that shows in the list when "Hypervisor is not running" error occurs.  

Error says "If you made changes to the Boot Configuration Data Store, review these changes to ensure the hypervisor is configured to launch properly."  

This error was vague enough for me to overlook it the first time.   I over looked it because I have never made any changes specific to the hypervisor before using BCDEDIT, so I dismissed it.  I had made changes to the Boot volume previously however, when the OS was first setup (see below)

It indeed was not "launching" when the machine booted up.   This was due to the fact that we changed the Boot Data Store on this server after we initially installed server 2008 R2.  (long story short, we wanted to do away with the 100MB system partition that's created when the OS is installed, so we moved the boot partition to C: and set it as the active partition, and deleted the 100MB system partition.)

Little did we know when doing this, it turns off the setting to auto start Hypervisor during boot up.

To change this back

Open a CMD prompt with admin privs

at C:\%windir%\system32  type:

BCDEDIT /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto

It should say "Command completed successfully."

Reboot, and virtuals should launch correctly for you.    Apparently this setting (auto start hypervisor) can get changed any time you make changes to your Boot Configuration Data using BCDEDIT or any other tools.  Always make sure to set this back to auto after making changes to be on the safe side. 

August 23rd, 2011 5:16pm

Hi, i dont know if you solved this problem, I had this problem to and i solved it.

Look at http://mossarch4u.blogspot.com/2011/09/hyper-v-with-intel-core-i7-2600k.html

Luigi

September 4th, 2011 1:19am

Also documented at http://zahirshahblog.com/2012/01/11/could-not-initi-alize-hyper-v-virt-ual-machine-is-not-s-tarting-windows-se-rver-2008-r2-hyper-v-vm-is-not-initializ-ing/
January 11th, 2012 10:29am

Good Morning, I had the same problem. I Had a running machine with SP1 that works perfectly non DELL but ASUS. I used the tools verifier to investigate driver signing onn the host server. You must reboot server for the results and this condition creates the problem. You must launch verifier another time to have the results (if there are) If you don't delete the settings into verifier the problem persists. The problem is solved at the next boot. Good Work ST
March 6th, 2012 3:23pm

hi, everyone, I have the same problem too, I use dell xps 15z, everything works perfectly when I install server 2008 R2 64 bit. But when I try to add some driver for my sound, I got this problem any help please.

thanks in advance

March 24th, 2012 10:27am

Hi Long

check if you took these steps:

1. Enabled DEP in the BIOS

2. Enabled Virtualization Technology  in the BIOS

3. SHUTDOWN the computer ( not restart )

4. Start the computer

5. Install the Hyper-V role

If I understand you want to use Hyper-V in your notebook with sound/desktop experience enabled? I have it for a while in my Dell and it works perfectly.

March 24th, 2012 1:33pm

Hi to All,

I got the same problem found Hyper V. It resolved after installed hot-fix.

Ref:- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2517374

April 19th, 2012 3:06am

Yep... the HotFix did the trick for me too!

Thanks

April 25th, 2012 11:09am

This error started for me when i added another virtual server.

When i added this extra virtual server my virtual 2003 server came up with this error

in the log it came up with to errors Event ID:      3430 and Event ID:      3040

I did find the hot fix/ other ideas such as permissions but it did not work and google did not help

but by back tracking i managed to figure out that not only did i need to turn one of the servers of but i had to remove the reserved resources in the settings

This fixed this error for me and after it had booted up i could then re reserve them.

Hope it helps

June 29th, 2012 3:50am

This error have no common reason to come on Virtual Host Server but it mostly happens if you have some older Windows Version's VMs like XP / 2003. This error can be resolved by restarting Hyper-V VMMS Service, have a look on this post.

http://solexpert.blogspot.com/2012/06/failed-to-register-service-principal.html

July 10th, 2012 3:58pm

I was running into the very same issue and installing service pack 1 fixed the problem.

YMMV

Regards,

Greg

July 12th, 2012 8:57pm

Had the same problem after installing 2008 r2 Hyper-V, could not initialize any VMs.

A full windows update fixed it right up.

//D. Svane

September 14th, 2012 2:09pm

Ive installed SP1 and fixed the problem. This issue on my environment is related because I moved some VMs from server has SP1 to server do not have any service packs or fixes.
July 11th, 2013 7:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics