Hyper-V Issues after VMM agent installed

I appear to be having an issue with Hyper-V integrating properly with VMM. I deploy the VMM agent to a host server, and it will run for a couple of days, and then I am suddenly unable to manage any of the Hyper-V instances on it. I cannot look at the settings of any of the VM's, shut them down, or make any changes to them. For example, if I try to send a CTL-ALT-DEL to a VM while the server is in this state, the host server will respond "Could not send keys to the virtual machine" with a second message indicating the operation failed. When I attempt to view the settings of any of any of the virtual machines on this host, I receive a Microsoft .Net Framework just in time debugging message. DPM is also unable to back up the host server. I am able to correct all of these issues by uninstalling the VMM agent. The server then runs properly until I attempt to reinstall the VMM agent. After a few days, the problem reappears. I am running VMM 2012 R2 UR4 and I recently upgraded to UR5. This issue first showed up after upgrading from UR3 to UR4, and it appears to still be an issue in UR5. The servers I am having this problem with all appear to be HP blade servers. HP rack server are not exhibiting the same behavior. Any thoughts or insights on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

February 24th, 2015 3:47pm

Hi Sir,

>>and it will run for a couple of days, and then I am suddenly unable to manage any of the Hyper-V instances on it.

VM can't be managed  from hyper-v host or VMM console ?

Is there any error message recorded in hyper-v host's event log ?

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 12:59am

The host can still be managed through VMM, just not through the Hyper-V console, which is

why my initial reaction is that this problem is VMM related. The issue only occurs a few days

after the VMM agent is installed, not immediately, which I find a bit unusual. Over time,

the problem seems to get worse. I am first notified of it because my DPM jobs on this server fail.

The only way to get the host server functioning properly again is with an uninstall of the VMM

agent and a restart of the server.

At that point, backups start to run, and I can manage the host from both the Hyper-V and VMM

consoles once more. There are no errors in the application, system, hyper-v hypervisor, or virtual

machine manager logs on the host server that indicate that a problem exists. I can duplicate the

issue on other blade servers as well, so it's not limited to one host. There is no additional software

on these servers other than System Center Endpoint Protection which I manage through SCCM.

• Edited by mwalters011 Wednesday, February 25, 2015 2:32 PM
February 25th, 2015 2:27pm

The host can still be managed through VMM, just not through the Hyper-V console, which is

why my initial reaction is that this problem is VMM related. The issue only occurs a few days

after the VMM agent is installed, not immediately, which I find a bit unusual. Over time,

the problem seems to get worse. I am first notified of it because my DPM jobs on this server fail.

The only way to get the host server functioning properly again is with an uninstall of the VMM

At that point, backups start to run, and I can manage the host from both the Hyper-V and VMM

consoles once more. There are no errors in the application, system, hyper-v hypervisor, or virtual

machine manager logs on the host server that indicate that a problem exists. I can duplicate the

issue on other blade servers as well, so it's not limited to one host. There is no additional software

on these servers other than System Center Endpoint Protection which I manage through SCCM.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 2:27pm

February 25th, 2015 5:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics