Hyper-V Integration Services Hang?

Folks:

I am migrating a Windows 2012 server from Hyper-V 2008 R2 to Hyper-V 2012 R2.  It migrates fine and starts fine until I update the Hyper-V integration services.  When I do this the VM hangs and will not boot.

It is an Exchange 2013 server if that makes a difference.

Help?

May 20th, 2015 11:19pm

Are you powering off the VM during the move?

Are you rebooting the VM prior to attempting to upgrade the integration components?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2015 10:11am

Hi:

Yes, VM was powered off during move.  Yes, the VM was powered up initially on new Cluster, then rebooted.  It runs fine if I do not update Hyper-V integrations.

I want everything current and perfect.  Not upgrading integrations is not a real option unless I know the cause. 

May 21st, 2015 3:24pm

Hi,

I've seen this behavior with Exchange 2013 servers (mailbox role) before. Had to disable Exchange services before integration services upgrade (disable Exchange services - install integration services - reboot - enable Exchange services - reboot). In our case Exchange services tried to start before network driver is upgraded and initialized, consume all resources and prevented network drivers from upgrade... 

May 22nd, 2015 12:17am

I have not yet had an opportunity for a maintenance window on this yet.  I will report back in a week to 10 days.
May 29th, 2015 9:05am

Did you try these steps

1) power off the VM & uncheck all integration services

2) migrate this machine to server 2012

3) power on & remove the old integrated services

4) reboot this vm

5) make sure your all integrated service should be marked 

6) power on vm.

I think it should help to overcome your hang issue

May 29th, 2015 9:23am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics