Hyper-V Generation 2 in Windows Server 2012 R2 keyboard not working

I'm trying to install a Hyper-V Generation 2 guest OS Windows Server
2012 on a host OS Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM from the technet
subscription.

What I found interesting from the description of the Hyper-V generation 2 is "This virtual machine generation provides support for features such as secure boot, SCSI boot, and PXE boot using a standard network adapter. Guest operating systems must be running at least Windows Server 2012 or 64-bit versions of Windows 8"

However, when I tried to install a Windows Server 2012 VM, my keyboard is not working and if I want to copy something from the clipboard I got below error.

I tried install Windows Server 2012 R2 as well, all works great.

So i'm wondering is it a bug for Windows Server 2012 installation or the above support guest OS description need to change to Windows Server 2012 R2?

September 18th, 2013 7:24am

Hi Ricky,

You're not alone! I am facing this problem just this minute! Waiting to see if Microsoft have patch for this...

Cheers.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 18th, 2013 10:23am

Is your Server 2012 media somehow have slipstreamed / updated Integration Components built into the VM?  (like the 2012 R2 does?)

There is an IC revision dependency as well for what you are attempting to do.

Beyond that the copy and paste (not using the Clipboard option) requires that the VM be installed and RDP functioning and the feature enabled on the hypervisor (off by default with Server).

September 18th, 2013 6:16pm

It's not only for copy paste, but also for any typing in the VM as well, I cannot

type in anything using my physical keyboard.

My installation media is the Technet subscription Windows Server 2012 ISO file. I don't think there's an updated version for Technet users at the

September 19th, 2013 1:37am

Interesting.

I just tried our 2012 VL ISO x64 installing as a Gen2 VM on my RTM 2012 R2 and it worked fine.

But, mine is Server with Hyper-V and not Hyper-V Server and a remote management UI (if that makes any difference or applies to you I don't know).

In the Hyper-V Settings I do have "Enhanced Session Mode" enabled.  But the "Guest Services" is not enabled on the VM.

Also, I did not upgrade Hyper-V but did a clean install.  (I have been hearing of various strange things resulting from upgrades of 2012 to 2012 R2 RTM)

Is there any pattern between the two of you?

September 19th, 2013 6:46pm

Brian,

You mentioned you are using the Volume License ISO? Do you know if there is likely a different ISO from the one distributed to TechNet?

*Sorry, just trying to remove any possibilities.*

Thanks.

September 20th, 2013 4:48am

Hi Moderator,

My host OS is Windows Server 2012 R2 datacenter with clean install.

I tried both "Enhanced Session Mode" is disabled or enabled, same.

The ISO image i'm using is "en_windows_server_2012_x64_dvd_915478.iso"

I tried the Windows 8 image "en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso" still got the same result

If it's the image related, i'm guessing Microsoft will release a new version of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 image for technet or MSDN user very soon

September 20th, 2013 6:35am

Hello,

Just adding my name to the list. I have the exact same issue, so sadly I will have to create some of my new lab servers (non-R2) as gen-1 for now...

September 22nd, 2013 5:19am

Hi all

At a recent conference (System Center Universe 2013 in Switzerland) it was said that one needs to use Windows 8.1 in order to use the enhanced console (unless MS releases an update for Windows 8 later on). If I understand correctly, you were all using Windows 8, not 8.1 - might this be the reason for the problem?

/Maurice

September 22nd, 2013 8:38pm

Hi,

Are you using the KVM console device or the USB Hub device between your keyboard and your computer? Please use the general connection method and try again.

Additional, I am using the similar system environment with yours but nothing error found, you can update your parent host service pack first or try change the ISO image and try again.

Hope this helps.

September 23rd, 2013 8:26am

I am running into the same issue...unfortunately.
September 29th, 2013 2:06am

Same issue here, trying to install Server 2012 Standard into Gen2 VM from freshly downloaded TechNet ISO onto 2012 R2 Standard host HyperV server. Cannot type anything from the keyboard, tried from multiple machines. Anyone find a resolution? 
  • Edited by pipnz Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:10 AM
October 22nd, 2013 7:10am

Same issue here, trying to install Server 2012 Standard into Gen2 VM from freshly downloaded TechNet ISO onto 2012 R2 Standard host HyperV server. Cannot type anything from the keyboard, tried from multiple machines. Anyone find a resolution? 
  • Edited by pipnz Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:10 AM
October 22nd, 2013 7:10am

Same issue here.  Cannot use the keyboard or paste from clipboard to a Windows 2012 Standard Edition install using Generation 2 VM.  Tried from local Hyper-V host and from VMM; no joy.  Had no issues with a Windows 2012 R2 Standard Edition install.
October 23rd, 2013 5:41pm

Exact same issue

HP DL360P server running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. Cannot use keyboard when booting a VM to WDS/MDT boot. Works if I install the image directly from an ISO (Server 2012 R2 ISO), but does not work when booting to an MDT boot. 

Running the latest version of MDT (6.1.2373.0) and ADK for 8.1 (although Im redownloading it just in case).

I think its something to do with some potential drivers not being loaded by winPE but I dont know if thats a PE/MDT generation issue, or a fault with actual drivers on the Physical server. Will update hopefully within the next few days

October 24th, 2013 7:24am

Update:

Reinstalling the latest version of Windows ADK tools and MDT 2013 resolved my issue. 

Deployment workbench = 6.2.5019.0 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40796 

ADK = 8.100.26020  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982 

Running the Preview versions dont seem to work for the RTM releases

October 24th, 2013 11:22pm

Hello,

same problem here: I have a fresh install of Win8.1 Enterprise, running Hyper-V.

When creating a gen2 VM and trying to install Windows 8 by means of PXE boot, I can select the boot menu entry after PXE Bootloader has started - but once the Win8 Setup has loaded and started, I can not input any keys to the VM anymore (mouse works fine though), and since I need to authenticate with domain credentials at the PXE/WDS server, I'm at a dead end here - since I cannot enter any keyboard input inside the vm...

On the same Hyper-V host, a gen1 VM (PXE-booted from the same WDS server) accepts any keyboard input just fine, during Win7 Ultimate x86 setup as well as Win8 Enterprise x64 setup...

Baseline: impossible to set up any WDS-deployed OS inside a gen2 VM.

Regards

Dennis

October 24th, 2013 11:22pm

I'm amazed You ever succeeded with the installation.

Seems to me that windows 8.1 can not be installed as generation 2.

Tried both pro and enterprise version.

Works fine as generation 1.

Hyper-v host is server 2012 R2

October 26th, 2013 11:51am

Same issue here too :/
October 26th, 2013 3:34pm

I'm amazed You ever succeeded with the installation.

Seems to me that windows 8.1 can not be installed as generation 2.

Tried both pro and enterprise version.

Works fine as generation 1.

Hyper-v host is server 2012 R2

Why shoud it not work? The prerequisites for a Gen2 VM are "Win8/Server2012 or newer, and x64 architecture"...

If you try installing Win8.1 x86 it will not work.
With Win8.1 x64 Installation should work without problems (aside from the keyboard not being captured inside the VM).

Regards

October 28th, 2013 6:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics