Hyper-V / NVGRE Gateways / SCVMM 2012 R2

I am currently investigating the roll out of network virtualisation using Hyper-V, Windows Server gateway and SCVMM 2012 R2

I have tested deploying a single WSG in a single datacentre and I can get VMs working with Network Virtualisation.

I have a requirement to deploy network virtualisation in multiple datacentres so that I am able to amongst other things live migrate VMs between datacentres with next to no downtime.

My question is what do I need to deploy to make this work?

For example do I need a WSG in each datacentre and if so are they completely independent of one another or are they aware of one another?

I understand that each datacentre will have its own provider address space but I'm assuming the customer VM network will be the same at each datacentre - this would mean the customer VM network gateway IP would be in two locations but does this matter if the provider addresses are different?

Is there anyone who has experience configuring WSG / NVGRE at multiple sites who could give some useful tips?

Thanks

John. 

July 25th, 2014 1:16pm

Bump - Almost 200 Views and no reply

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

John. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2014 2:34pm

I suggest you take a look at this whitepaper

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Hybrid-Cloud-with-NVGRE-aa6e1e9a

July 29th, 2014 5:54am

Thanks for the reply

I have already download and go through the whitepaper.

Even though it is a really good paper which got me up and running it only talks about configuring NV gateways at a single Datacentre / Site

My requirement is how do you configure multiple NV Gateways at different Datacentres / Sites (and I don't even know if that is the right approach)

July 29th, 2014 7:51am

You might want to talk to people who wrote it, in that case. They are very friendly and if you ask them politely they are very likely to help. You want to use twitter, I guess, to summon them to this thread.

July 29th, 2014 8:11am

The question is all about your network layout.

Will the PA network be routable? Will the hosts in the other datacenter be able to reach the hosts in the primary datacenter where the WSG servers are running?

The key here is that you are "limited" to one VMM management server (you should have a HA deployment of VMM), then VMM will be responsible and manage the entire NVGRE environment for you. 

As long as every host is able to communicate on the PA network, then it will work.

The challenge is to make the gateway cluster highly available across sites, as the network service connected to a VM network can't failover to another network service. This will involve some sort of storage replication that could make the gateway cluster available in another datacenter. 

This is something I haven't tested extensively, but only played around with Hyper-V Replica. 

July 29th, 2014 10:27am

Hi Kristian

Thanks for getting back to me.

BTW the NVGRE white paper is excellent so a big thank you!

To answer your points:

Will the PA network be routable - Yes, I'm assuming I would configure at least one routable PA network per Datacentre - I don't really want to be stretching networks across Datacentres?

Will the hosts in the other datacenter be able to reach the hosts in the primary datacenter where the WSG servers are running - Yes

I have now destroyed my lab environment and this might seem like a stupid question but the PA gateway address is located on my router and not the NVGW?

Forgetting HA for a moment would you recommend deploying a NV Gateway per datacentre or is this over complicating things? For example if I live migrated a NV VM from DC1 to DC2 would it use DC2's NVGW for external access or will it still use DC1's?

In my head it seems more straight forward to deploy a HA NVGW at one DC which is used by all other DCs and as you suggested use something like Hyper-V Replica. Do you know if this is supported

Many Thanks

John.

July 29th, 2014 10:52am

Btw, thx for the kind words regarding our whitepaper. We are glad if someone find it useful in their situations. 

In an ideal world, you would have a multi-site gateway cluster too, so that you were able to have the same network service available in case of a site failure. However, this would require some third-party replication on the storage level. 

A VM network can only be bound to a single NVGRE gateway at a time, and you can't switch to a new one on the fly once it is connected. 

The scenario for using Hyper-V Replica on the virtualization gateways is not something I've been able to play with - nor verify at the time. I will see if I can get you some feedback on this one.

-kn

July 30th, 2014 6:03pm

Hi,

Here an update about the hyper-v replica:

I was testing hyper-v replica. Using hyper-v replica in a nvgre cluster will not work because the shared vhdx wont replicate. You need to have standalone (non-ha) gateways to let hyper-v replica to work. Not an ideal situation. Looking for other options now...

October 20th, 2014 8:23pm

Tested also the standalone with replication to other site. this will also not work as the networks service looks to the wrong Hyper-V host in the string. When trying to update the networkservice string to the failover Hype-v host won't work either... Not much left in my opinion...
March 4th, 2015 11:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics