Howto use two RRAS for Failover?
The title explains it all, but what I mean is how can I make two RRAS servers work together so that if one server goes down the other will provide internet for the clients. If I'm not very clear please say so, because my English isn't that great unfortunately. I already tried to give all the clients two gateways but I found out that this method isn't really possible. Is there a way to make this happen? I really need help with this problem. For the people that are going to say "search for it on google" ... I already did that.
January 27th, 2011 8:35am

Hello, why do you need RRAS for internet access? A dual/multi port router is able to handle 2 or more connections to the internet and that way you can safe a lot of configuration trouble. As you realized 2 DGs are not possible. But the router will decide which way to use according to your priorities for the multiple lines. The workstations still have one DG that way.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2011 8:47am

Well the two servers are my routers that give internet acces to the clients. I have a modem/router that has two cables towards the server that provides internet acces. All my clients are connected to a switch that leads to the servers. My network: 192.168.1.20 192.168.5.20 192.168.1.1 |--------- Server1--------| Modem/router ----------| |--- switch-----all clients |________ Server2______| 192.168.1.30 192.168.5.30 These are fake ip's but are in the same range. I need to make server 2 work as a backup when server 1 goes down and cant route the internet. Ow and i user Server 2008 R2 on both. I hope this make sense to you :)
January 27th, 2011 9:08am

Hello, kick out the servers complete and connect the switch to the router and use a simple spare switch and you are done. This is a cheaper solution then the one using 2 server licenses. If you like to use this setup, devide the clients between the servers, so in case one fails you have at least the half working until the server is up and running again.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 27th, 2011 9:42am

Thanks, but this isn't a option for me. The servers are there and have RRAS installed on them. The 2 server licenses have been bought years ago and now I have the task to make a failover network from those two. I can't say to my boss that only 50% of his business hasn't internet acces :D Isn't there a solution for this? Load-balancing doesn't work in my situation or does it? Even though your suggestions doesn't help me they are good for others. I'm working at a company that needs more security and a low downtime so your suggestions isn't working in my situation. This isn't the first time someone is thinking about this right? So how did they make it working?
January 27th, 2011 10:32am

Hello, the 50% option is of course not an optimal solution. Fully agree. Just having 2 servers with RRAS will NOT help you to provide a failover. A computer can only have ONE default gateway, doesn't matter if it is a server with RRAS, a router or a Layer3 switch. And what happens if the LAN switch fails? Then the RRAS servers will not help. You will always have somewhere in the network a single point of failure. Load balancing will work with the multiport router and at least 2 internet connections but only for the internet access. To be honest, until now i didn't heard about your kind of configuration. If you have a stable connection from your ISP the network should be configured this way: Internet > router > firewall > switch > all LAN machines Hopefully somebody here will provide a solution like you??? have planned. I am always willing to learn.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 27th, 2011 2:34pm

Thank you Meinolf for your suggestions and indeed there will always be a single point of failure and that is why I changed my network and now i have the following: Internet > Router > Firewall > Clients v Servers The firewall would come between the two servers and the router so then my failover plan wouldn't work. Although i really would like to know how i could do the two RRAS failover, i don't need it anymore, but still thank you for trying to help me and the 50% plan of yours was better than nothing! I still hope that someone with the answer sees this and answer it so other people that are having this problem will know it too!
January 27th, 2011 3:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics