How to uninstall PowerShell 1.0
Hi,  Please point me to instructions for uninstalling PowerShell 1.0 from XP Pro so that I can install version 2.  I have read that service packs can remove the 1.0 uninstaller.  Is the XP Pro uninstaller for PowerShell 1.0 available for download?

The support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926139/ does not include instructions for removing 1.0 for my XP Pro system.

In Currently installed programs, Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 does not appear on my XP Pro system and consequently I am unable to click Remove .

How to uninstall Windows PowerShell in Windows XP

<script type="text/javascript"> loadTOCNode(3, 'moreinformation'); </script> In Windows XP, follow these steps to uninstall Windows PowerShell 1.0:
  1. Click Start , click Run , type appwiz.cpl , and then click OK .
  2. Click to select the Show updates check box.
  3. In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0 , and then click Remove .
  4. Follow the instructions to remove the following entry: Windows PowerShell(TM) 1.0
January 16th, 2010 12:29am

You can install the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 directly over Windows PowerShell 1.0, there is no need to perform an uninstall. The uninstallation, and reinstallation requirements you may see references to on the Internet are all artifacts left over from the Beta version.

You can obtain the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 from this location: http://bit.ly/31P7hP 
Once you perform the installation, you may be curious as to whether the upgrade actually worked. This is especially true because Windows PowerShell will still reside in the C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 directory. You can confirm that the upgrade was successful by opening the Windows PowerShell prompt and querying the value of the $PSVersionTable variable. You should see something like the following displayed:

PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
----                           -----
CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.4927
BuildVersion                   6.1.7600.16385
PSVersion                      2.0
WSManStackVersion              2.0
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 21st, 2010 10:02pm

You can install the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 directly over Windows PowerShell 1.0, there is no need to perform an uninstall. The uninstallation, and reinstallation requirements you may see references to on the Internet are all artifacts left over from the Beta version.

You can obtain the RTM version of Windows PowerShell 2.0 from this location: http://bit.ly/31P7hP 
Once you perform the installation, you may be curious as to whether the upgrade actually worked. This is especially true because Windows PowerShell will still reside in the C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0 directory. You can confirm that the upgrade was successful by opening the Windows PowerShell prompt and querying the value of the $PSVersionTable variable. You should see something like the following displayed:

PS C:\> $PSVersionTable

Name                           Value
----                           -----
CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.4927
BuildVersion                   6.1.7600.16385
PSVersion                      2.0
WSManStackVersion              2.0
PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}
SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1
PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1

January 21st, 2010 10:02pm

Hi, it is easy to uninstall PowerShell the way you specified. But how to do your uninstall PowerShell v 1.0 if you dont find a line entry in the appwiz, or Adding and Removing Programs? That is the question.

I have an XP Pro SP3 station I tried to upgrade to Vista Business. The compatiblity checker recommended that I uninstall the existing PowerShell, which is version1.0. I could not find a line entry for it and could not relate it a KB version in the Updates section.

Someone suggested it is KB926139, whci i could not find in the Windows\@NtUinstallKB926139.

Still looking for answers

Cheers, G.

September 10th, 2011 3:27pm

Working in registry, don't make any changes. (if you ever do make sure you make a backup first)

Hit Windows Key + R
Type "Regedit" and hit enter.
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
Now hit F3 and search for PowerShell.

If you are able to find it under the "Uninstall" folder then copy the path from "UninstallString".
It should look something like this "C:\WINDOWS\$968930Uinstall_KB968930$\spuninst\spuninst.exe"

Now just run that exe...

September 23rd, 2011 2:48pm

that doesnt work.when i hit o k, show updates doesnt come up
November 15th, 2011 2:52am

I have followed the steps above and do not have Windows PowerShell of any sort listed in the Currently installed programs list.

I'm try to upgrade my Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Professional.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

December 31st, 2011 6:23pm

Start by running POwerSHell.

Run the following command.

get-hotfix -id KB926139

If it fails to run you do not have PowerShell V2 installed use V1 uninstall instructions.

If it finds the hot fix the go to Add or Remove Programs and uninstall update KB926139.

December 31st, 2011 7:45pm

Thanks for trying to help me - I have V1 and I don't have Windows PowerShell listed in the Currently installed programs list and I've searched for KB926139 and don't have that update listed anywhere in the Currently installed programs menu. Until I figure how to locate and uninstall PowerShell, I can't upgrade to Vista Pro. Any other ideas? Thank you! Tim
January 1st, 2012 3:58am

Thanks for trying to help me - I have V1 and I don't have Windows PowerShell listed in the Currently installed programs list and I've searched for KB926139 and don't have that update listed anywhere in the Currently installed programs menu. Until I figure how to locate and uninstall PowerShell, I can't upgrade to Vista Pro. Any other ideas? Than
January 1st, 2012 5:06am

I have followed the steps above and do not have Windows PowerShell of any sort listed in the Currently installed programs list.

I'm try to upgrade my Windows XP Professional to Windows Vista Professional.

Thanks in advance for any help you can pr

January 1st, 2012 5:55am

Hi jrv,

To be honest I'm not really sure what PowerShell is but when I try to upgrade to Vista Professional I'm being told that I can't initiate the upgrade until I uninstall PowerShell - then when I go to uninstall I can't see it anywhere... I think I'm at a dead end but thanks for your help and patience. Have a great New Year!

TJO SDCA

January 1st, 2012 3:58pm

What is the point of this reply? Would I ask for clarification or help if the above thread answered my question? Your reply was completely unnecessary. How about focus your energy to positive things instead of negative. Thank goodness others on this site have patience and truly want to be helpful.
January 1st, 2012 4:00pm

The purpose was to help you to get more answers to your question.  A question that is old and already answered is unlikely get many replies.

I was only trying to offer helpful advice.  I have no idea how you could consider this abusive.

January 1st, 2012 4:03pm

What is the point of this reply? Would I ask for clarification or help if the above thread answered my question? Your reply was completely unnecessary. How about focus your energy to positive things instead of negative. Thank goodness others on this site have patience and truly want to be hel
January 1st, 2012 4:55pm

I have XP SP3  and want to completely remove powershell.  When I enter command "get-hotfix -id KB926139"  I get the following:

Get-HotFix : This command cannot find hot-fix on the machine 'localhost'. Verify the input and Run your
At line:1 char:11
+ get-hotfix <<<<  -id KB926139
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-HotFix], ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetHotFixNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetHotFixCommand

Any suggestions how to remove Powershell?  Thanks!

January 28th, 2012 6:41pm

I suggest you start a new topic with this question, as this thread has been closed for some time, and not many people will see it.

January 28th, 2012 7:18pm

I'd be glad to start a new topic, but how do I do it and where should I post my question???
January 28th, 2012 8:13pm

I'd be glad to start a new topic, but how do I do it and where should I post my question???

Start by reading the forum instructions.  They are posted on the main page.  I think that the link  called "Need help with forums?" is the link that might be helpful.

The forum is not here to help you repair a PC or learn how to use Windows or Internet forums.  This forum exists to help those who are using scripting or are learning and have basic questions about the what, why and how of scripting in Windows.

You question here has an easy answer which I will give.  You do not have PowerShell v1(RTM) installed.

If you are having other issues with a script then please start a new topic.  If you are just having trouble with installing PowerShell then you should post in the Windows XP forum for help with application installation.  More issues of that type are likely to be listed there.

Be sure to put your error message into Google or Bing to get the latest information.

Good luck.

January 28th, 2012 10:52pm

It's true.  Powershell IS there and it can't come off.  Just admit you people don't know how to get it off.   And some one said something about being a real technician?  A service pack will change the inner workings of windows and what worked when you got it won't work now.  

Microsoft only cares about forcing you into the next OS.   I'm going Linux.....

April 29th, 2012 2:11am

It's true.  Powershell IS there and it can't come off.  Just admit you people don't know how to get it off.   And some one said something about being a real technician?  A service pack will change the inner workings of windows and what worked when you got it won't work now.  

Microsoft only cares about forcing you into the next OS.   I'm going Linux.....

No - it is a virus.  Now you are infected.  You will slowly turn into a Zombie.  You figured it out. Microsoft is after you.  You cannot get away.  We will find you and convert you to our nefarious purposes. Of course, if you know how to spell nefarious, then the deal is off.

Haaaaa! haa! haaaa! haaaaa! haa!

We win!

April 29th, 2012 2:17am

Powershell can be a part of Windows Management Framework Core. Remove this and you may be in luck.
March 21st, 2014 8:59pm

"Windows Management Framework Core" in Windows XP SP3.
April 7th, 2014 2:33am

I am sending this message from April 12, 2051.  We understand how difficult the old and obsolete software really is.  In 2045 the International PowerShell Consortium agreed to retain PowerShell V1 as a legacy standard.  As a result no copy of PowerShell V1 can be uninstalled.  If you try we will send the TimeCops to bring you in.

PowerShell V1 is Required - in omne tempus

April 7th, 2014 2:52am

In the Add/Remove Programs, if you can find KB926139, KB926140, or KB926141 or Windows Management Framework and you do the uninstall, it should show removing PowerShell 1.0.  Most of the time it is KB926139, but in many attempts have seen the other possibilities in Windows XP/Windows 2003/Windows 2003 R2.

Note looking for KB updates in the Add/Remove is like looking for a needle in the haystack, so I have discovered that if you go into the Windows directory, Show Hidden and System Files (not for the squeamish at heart).  Then look for the folder

$NTUninstallKB926139$

(if this is not there look for $NTUninstallKB926140$ or $NTUninstallKB926141$)

Open that folder, and you will see some of the files needed to uninstall the KB installation.  Look for spuninst.exe and run this.  Note the executable may be inside of subdirectory also named spuninst).

When you run the uninstaller, it will prompt you that it is removing PowerShell 1.0 (if does not list PowerShell 1.0 in the uninstall prompt I recommend cancelling the uninstall, and looking for the other possible PowerShell KB's to see if the other choices were installed.

Every time that I have attempted an upgrade a computer or server from Windows XP or Windows 2003/2003 SP2 to Windows Vista or Windows 2008, I always run into the remove Powershell 1.0 first, so hoping this saves someone frustration in the future.

July 7th, 2015 4:57pm

In the Add/Remove Programs, if you can find KB926139, KB926140, or KB926141 or Windows Management Framework and you do the uninstall, it should show removing PowerShell 1.0.  Most of the time it is KB926139, but in many attempts have seen the other possibilities in Windows XP/Windows 2003/Windows 2003 R2.

Note looking for KB updates in the Add/Remove is like looking for a needle in the haystack, so I have discovered that if you go into the Windows directory, Show Hidden and System Files (not for the squeamish at heart).  Then look for the folder

$NTUninstallKB926139$

(if this is not there look for $NTUninstallKB926140$ or $NTUninstallKB926141$)

Open that folder, and you will see some of the files needed to uninstall the KB installation.  Look for spuninst.exe and run this.  Note the executable may be inside of subdirectory also named spuninst).

When you run the uninstaller, it will prompt you that it is removing PowerShell 1.0 (if does not list PowerShell 1.0 in the uninstall prompt I recommend cancelling the uninstall, and looking for the other possible PowerShell KB's to see if the other choices were installed.

Every time that I have attempted an upgrade a computer or server from Windows XP or Windows 2003/2003 SP2 to Windows Vista or Windows 2008, I always run into the remove Powershell 1.0 first, so hoping this saves someone frustration in the future.

• Edited by Ray L1967 Tuesday, July 07, 2015 9:05 PM
July 7th, 2015 8:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics