How to speed up loading roaming profile
I have one user at AD. Our server is running Server 2008 R2 and workstation is running Windows XP. This user log-ins to one workstatition only and profile has big size. The profile contains a lot of files and it takes a several minutes to load. I think that best solution can be using local profile only with mapped network folders, but I need to transfer this profile, because server is backing up all data and settings. Is there other way, how to speed up loading this profile? I think that all files from server are transfered to workstation at log-ining and reverse at logging-out.
September 11th, 2010 4:40pm

Hi Ales, There is no other efficient way to do this, local profile is one of the best option however there is disadvantage of having local profile is that you will get different settings and data all the time. A fast access share drive is the best option to keep the data roaming. As you stated that the profile contains lot of files which probably is not a good place to keep it. If user still want to use everything from desktop then I would suggest to suggest him further to keep only links in the roaming profile to the actual data rather than all files. You can use "Folder Redirection" as details are given below: Folder redirection Folder redirection is a client-side technology that provides the ability to change the target location of predetermined folders found within the user profile. This redirection is transparent to the user and gives the user a consistent way of saving their data, regardless of its storage location. Folder redirection provides a way for administrators to divide user data from profile data. This division of user data decreases user logon times because Windows downloads less data. Windows redirects the local folder to a central location, giving the user immediate access to their data when they save it, regardless of the computer they are using. This immediate access removes the need to update the user profile. There are two primary benefits to Folder Redirection as it applies to profile data: When used with roaming profiles, it can significantly reduce the size of the portable profile data carried around by users for logon/logoff. Since these folders are redirected to network shares, you trade local I/O impact for network/remote I/O impact. This can be very helpful on disk-constrained deployments. Using Folder Redirection with mandatory profiles allows users to have some control/persistence of customization such as application configuration settings (AppData) or IE Favorites. Please go through the link below for more information on "Folder Redirection": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx I hope, this will surely help you to overcome of this issue. Regards, Tilak IT Consultant
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2010 6:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics