How to slipstream updates into Windows Server 2012 R2 DVD/ISO

Dear All,

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard/Datacenter DVD (or rather, its ISO file), and I would like to add all the updates available so far into the installation, so when I use the DVD/ISO I do not have to spend several hours waiting for all the updates to install on the new server. Is there a way to:

1) get a list of the Windows updates necessary;

2) download the updates from the list in a way that does not involve doing them one by one; and

3) add the updates into the DVD/ISO (I believe this is called slipstreaming).

I do not have a System Manager server to play with in case someone mentions one.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yours,

FD

October 29th, 2014 3:29pm

You have to use DISM. Refer to the following link for more information about adding package to an offline image:

Add or Remove Packages Offline Using DISM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824838.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2014 3:53pm

Boudewijn,

That should allow to me to update the WIM file, but how do I put that file back into the ISO?

Any help on 1 and 2?

Yours,

FD

October 29th, 2014 9:12pm

Download an ISO burner.... ImgBurn is a good one. You can use this to create an .ISO file with the new .WIM file. There are lots of youtube guides to help rebuild an .ISO file.

I used this one....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDyZKHqE1k

Turn the volume off... Very loud music no commentary. 

April 1st, 2015 6:16pm

Does anyone have a solution for steps 1 and 2 (get a list of available updates and download them)?

FD

May 31st, 2015 2:17pm

Does anyone have a solution for steps 1 and 2 (get a list of available updates and download them)?

FD

The simplest way to do that, is to build a "reference" machine, and let it update (from windowsupdate.com or your WSUS or whatever). Then you can examine the windowsupdate.log, or registry, to construct your list.

The recommended method is to use MDT, which gives you a repeatable and customizable reference image creation solution, and it also gives you a deployment solution.

There are also non-Microsoft tools available to just deal with the updating / slipstreaming / re-baselining task..

May 31st, 2015 5:23pm

There are also non-Microsoft tools available to just deal with the updating / slipstreaming / re-baselin
June 12th, 2015 11:04am

Wsusoffline is one such tool that comes to mind.

That looks like the business! Thank you for pointing it out.

Yours,

FD

June 12th, 2015 4:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics