How to share a Win2k8 R2 drive to Windows Server 2003??
I have a Win2k8 R2 server which will become a file server next month. In the meantime I need to set up a Scheduled Task on the current Win2k3 file server that will use Robocopy to copy all the files from Win2k3 to the new Win2k8 R2 file server. Can someone please tell me how to share the Win2k8 R2's destination data drive/folder out to the source Win2k3 server so I can effectively Robocopy from one to the other?? Or point me to appropriate instructions/reference?? Thank you, Tom
October 26th, 2010 4:17pm

Hi Tom, Actually I can’t see any specific requirement that regard to the target shared folder , you might create and configure it with follow your design and plan on new server. Meanwhile, If you are planning migrate file server from windows server 2003 to windows server 2008 ,I ‘d recommend you to perform it with follow the File Server Migration Wizard which included in Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit(FSMT) , it might help you to achieve the goal more easily. The File Server Migration Wizard is a graphical user interface (GUI) tool for copying files, folders, and their security settings from one or more source file servers to a target file server. The wizard walks you step by step through the copy process, which includes creating a migration project where project-specific settings are stored, monitoring the progress of the file copying, and viewing a final report of the copying results. You can start and stop a migration project at any time, and settings are maintained for that project the next time you start the wizard. For more information please refer to the link below: Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/fsmt.aspx Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 26th, 2010 10:15pm

This looks very nice, I will check into it further. I haven't yet set any roles/features on the file server to be, and I figured out that I can create a batch file with net use //old-server/d$ on the new file server, then run robocopy with appropriate switches (someone gave me a proper batch file a long time ago) and /secfix plus the /b hotfix... I will evaluate both approaches... Thank you, Tom
October 27th, 2010 12:30am

Hi Tom, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply. Thanks. Tiger Li TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 29th, 2010 5:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics