How to setup VPN Server on 2003
HI, I am trying to setup VPN server on our Windows 2003 server. My current system is domain server.It is an local domain server. for this server we did not conneted any internet but we have another network card for server to connect the internet.For Internet we are using one xp in that we have installed ccproxy formtheir we are sharing the internet to other machine. how do i configure this is their any thing i need to forward any ports on the router to my server? the server will be connected through the CCproxy itself? Colud you please help on this? thanks ramesh
August 2nd, 2010 8:15pm

Hello Ramesh, If the server you are referencing is a domain controller, then I do not recommend that you enable more than one NIC on that server. Multi-homed DCs do not function well. There are alot of issues that come along in that design. You could set up another dedicated server with two NICs and enable Routing and Remote Access. However, keep in mind that this is not a low cost solution (server hardware, OS license, etc...). Have you considered using a consumer based Router to provide you with connectivity to the internet? Something like this design: Internet <--> NAT/Router <--> Switch <--> Private Network (computers). Otherwise, if a Windows Server is needed it would look like this: Internet <--> Windows Server Running RRAS/NAT (dual NIC) <--> Switch <--> Private Network (computers) Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2010 11:31pm

HI JM, we cannot afford one more 2003 server because OS License. Is their any I can setup on the same server. If i setup on the same server what type of issues i will get how do i get rid of them. could you please provide me any documentation for that? And one more thing i want you let you know that my internet is shring through an CCproxy from my XP machine. In this case do i need to do any thing on CCproxy side? How do the user Authentication will done on the VPN server side we have to use same domain username and password? thnaks ramesh
August 3rd, 2010 5:19pm

Hello Ramesh, You can read this article and see if it applies to your case. Generally multi-homed DCs are not recommended. If your infrastructure only has ONE DC, you may be able to get around some of these issues. however, as you may be aware, a single DC design is not recommended either. Active Directory communication fails on multihomed domain controllers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272294/en-us Well in regards to the CCProxy, I am not familiar with that specific product, but I do know about proxies. In your case, you would probably move the CCProxy software to the system that is running RRAS (if you want to continue running proxy software), but its not required. The box running RRAS will be also configured to run NAT (most probably for your design). Adding proxy software will improve internet browsing for your internal hosts by caching http traffic. Proxy software is not required to access the internet. <-- again, I should just note that I would not recommend running RRAS with/without proxy software on a DC that is multihomed. Authentication with VPN? RRAS has the ability to authenticate users using local accounts stored on the RRAS server and also AD accounts (better option). In your case, it sounds like you are using Active Directory so yes, your users when connecting to the RRAS server (VPN) will use their AD credentials. You may want to read over some of the articles found in this MS link regarding Routing and Remote Access (RRAS): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545655.aspx Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2010 5:40pm

Hi, If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know. We are looking forward to your reply.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
August 9th, 2010 5:19am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics