How to set up multiple WAN IP addresses on W8K Server in DMZ
Folks, I have been provided three static IP addresses from my DSL provider. Say these IP addresses are 60.60.60.61, 60.60.60.62, and 60.60.60.63. My router uses 60.60.60.61 on the WAN side. My W8K Server is behind NAT with an IP address of 10.10.10.51 (and gateway of 10.10.10.1). From any other internal machine, I am able to ping to 10.10.10.51. I would now like to put this server in DMZ zone and have it deal with the other two WAN addresses - 60.60.60.62 and 60.60.60.63. Configuring the router for DMZ was simple. All the external traffic is now set to forward to 10.10.10.51. Now, I am trying to figure out what I need to do to set up the W8K server to process the other two WAN IP addresses. Essentially, the W8K Server would end up having three IP addresses - 10.10.10.51, 60.60.60.62 and 60.60.60.63. I could add 60.60.60.62 and 60.60.60.63 to the list of IP addresses in the "advanced" options for Network properties. However, I am thinking it is a little more than that as the gateway is still 10.10.10.1. I would appreciate your help in understanding how I can set the server properly to deal with multiple static IP addresses. Thank you in advance for your help. Regards, Peter
February 16th, 2011 5:08pm

What device is acting as your router? This is where you should take care of this. If you are using a third party router, then the manual or the manufacturer's website is the place to go. If it is RRAS, add the pool of public addresses to RRAS. You can then map a public IP to a machine's private LAN IP. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 16th, 2011 5:56pm

Hi Peter , It seems that this server is multihomed and be connected to internet and intranet in the same time . If In this case and you are also using NAT with RRAS to share internet connection for 10.10.10.0 subnet, you can adding both internet addresses into Address Pool: IPv4 - NAT - Interface Properties - Address Pool Tab http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730615(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 17th, 2011 4:43am

I have a standard Linksys router. All it has is a provision to set up DMZ zone which I have already done. However, I think the onus is now on the w8K box to declare itself with additional static IP addresses. Regards, Peter
February 21st, 2011 10:54pm

Hi Tiger, Appreciate your help. Looks like I am not clear in my previous message. I have a standard Linksys router that supports NAT and DMZ. It does not support RRAS but I don't think I need that. I have a box running W8K R2 in a workgroup mode. It has just one NIC card. It needs to support both an Intranet IP address and an extranet IP address. The W8K box must have 3 IP addresses - 10.10.10.51, 60.60.60.62 and 60.60.60.63. Among other things, the box runs IIS that exposes 3 different websites based on the IP address of the server used by the client. When 60.60.60.62 is used, a different website is displayed. When 60.60.60.63 is used, another website is displayed. Hope this is clear. Regards, Peter
February 21st, 2011 11:02pm

Hi Peter, Thanks for clarify. I think it is impossible since you have connect this server to DMZ so it should has no deal with internal network and it can’t holding both internal and external address same time. What I can thought is that you should binding these three internet addresses to the WAN interface of Linksys router , connecting this server to internal network and adding three internal addresses for it . After that you should set port forwarder on router ,so that external requirement will be forwarded to this internal server for web service , meanwhile, this server could also commutate with your internal network . Port forwarding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_forwarding Hope it is helpful. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
February 23rd, 2011 1:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics