How to set an W2K8 DC's NTP client to synch with some NTP server in Internet?
I've a Windows Server 2008 (with SP2 applied) as an AD DC. But this DC's internal clock is not accurate: it's getting slower. And AD member PC are sync'ed with this DC, so the whole AD has wrong clock. Since the W2K8 is a DC, its clock dialog no longer presents the tab where we can set NTP server in the Internet. What to do to make it sync to some Internet's NTP server?
September 21st, 2009 6:39pm

Use w32tm.exe in a command prompt. Enter "w32tm" by itself to get the syntax.The commands you need are /register and /config. Something like:C:\>w32tm /registerC:\>w32tm /config "manualpeerlist:us.pool.ntp.org time.windows.com"Go to http://www.ntp.org/for lists of time servers.You can use tracert.exe (trace route)to see how "far away" servers are.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 21st, 2009 10:06pm

Hi, You may also refer to the following article for the detailed steps: How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 Thanks. Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 22nd, 2009 10:44am

I've followed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 to set up everything but I have to admit that I don't understand everything written there. Then, today, my AD DC time is ten minutes in advance without any apparent reason! So I had to change the server's time manually. Anyone knows why?
October 2nd, 2009 7:36pm

Hi Horinius, Please confirm whether you configure the PDC to use an internal hardware clock or to use an external time source. What if you run the command w32tm /resync /rediscover on the PDC? Does the system time synchronize with the time source? Please let me know if you get any error message. Thanks. Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact EMAIL REMOVEDThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
October 5th, 2009 9:47am

The PDC is configured to use NTP, ie external time source. What's that command (w32tm /resync /rediscover ) supposed to do? I mean, the "rediscover" parameter doesn't mean anything to me.
October 5th, 2009 1:35pm

Hi, When you run the command, the system redetects the network configuration and rediscovers network resources, causing resynchronization. With the “/rediscover” parameter, system will redetect the network configuration and rediscover network sources, then resynchronize. Thanks. Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forumThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
October 6th, 2009 5:53am

OK, thanks :)
October 6th, 2009 11:06am

Today, once again, the time clock in the DC is in advance of more than 3 minutes for no reason. So I have to manually do the command "w32tm /resync /rediscover". Previously, the poll interval was set to 24 hours. I don't see how an advance of 3 minutes could happen! Anyway, I've set it to 6 hours. Could anyone tell me if this value is reasonable? On the other hand, I know I could issue the same command in EVERY domain member computer to resynch their time clocks. But is there a way to "push" the resync to the whole domain?
December 8th, 2009 1:13pm

I think there could be a bug somewhere.After this thread started, I too have had time problems on a DC in a VM, R2 in my case. See: RTC problems in VM.In my case, I was three months in the past.Seems to me I read in a thread where someone's VM was three years in the future.
December 10th, 2009 12:14am

Oh, sorry to hear so. But my DC is in a real computer, not a VM.
December 10th, 2009 12:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics