How to set /flag "EditionID" in a WDS captured image?

Reading up on imagex documentation, I read the following:

"/flags "EditionID"
Specifies the version of Windows you are about to capture. The /flags value is required if you are going to re-deploy a custom Install.wim with Windows Setup. The straight quotation marks are required. "

Now since I want to redeploy a custom install.wim with Windows Setup, I decided to look and see whether an image captured by WDS sets this flag correctly. It doesn't.

Can anyone point me out how to manually set the "EditionID" flag in the .wim file metadata, so that I can substitute a WDS-captured install.wim back into the standard W2008 Server DVD?

July 31st, 2007 4:11pm

You can use the imagex /export command to do this:

imagex /export /flags Enterprise d:\imaging\data.wim 1 d:\imaging\newfile.wim "Exported Image"

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2007 1:52am

Tim,

I have tried this and performed and imagex /info on the exported image and the flag is not appearing in the metadata. Also, the optional flags when using the /export command with imagex does appear to be documented. I am not getting any errors when running your command line, but my results are not in line with the instructions you have provided.

Any insight?

Dan

March 26th, 2008 10:28pm

Dan,

I had the same problems with Tims solution to add the FLAGS key to the metadata of the wim file. The following command did the trick for me:

imagex /flags "EDITIONID" /info Install.wim 1 "NEW_IMAGE_NAME" "NEW_IMAGE_DESCRIPTION"

Where EditionID is one of the well documented IDs (Business, Enterprise,...).

David
  • Proposed as answer by DaveV23 Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:33 PM
June 26th, 2008 8:33pm

Thanks Dave your solution worked Tims did not. I am using a Windows 7 AIK modifing the flags on a Vista Custom WIM.

Sean

November 4th, 2011 3:24pm

Thanks David for your help. It saved lot of time for me.

I was trying to install a custom win 7 image created for my organization with Windows 7 setup to a virtual machine in VMware workstation. Copied the wim file to sources folder and renamed it to install.wim and created an ISO. While installing setup is unable to show any of the windows versions in the wim file and failing.

After adding the editionid with flags option I am able to install it via setup.exe in VMware.

imagex.exe /flags "Enterprise" /info "C:\install.wim" 1 "Windows 7 Enterprise Build" "Standard Build ver 1.0"

Thanks

Lokesh Majji.

February 17th, 2015 6:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics