How to schedule Windows Updates through Task Scheduler in Server 2008 and Server 2003
We have 19 servers that I need to schedule automatic updates for. We want to spread out the schedule across the month evenly. So if I have a group of servers that need to run windows update on every 1sts of the month, how would you schedule that in Windows Server 2008 Task Scheduler and Windows Server 2003 Scheduled Tasks?
August 12th, 2011 12:59pm

Since you have 19 servers, using Task Scheduler wouldn't be the best option. I would recommend using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for this purpose. It'll help you schedule your updates, allow for you to approve or reject updates before being pushed to the machines and save (a lot of) internet bandwidth. Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 12th, 2011 6:48pm

Since you have 19 servers, using Task Scheduler wouldn't be the best option. I would recommend using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) for this purpose. It'll help you schedule your updates, allow for you to approve or reject updates before being pushed to the machines and save (a lot of) internet bandwidth. Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast. In WSUS how do you schedule updates? I was clicking around and couldn't find anything that allows me to choose the day of the month. I tried searching online with no luck. I have SCE 2010 installed as well. Test driving both.
August 15th, 2011 10:49am

This link should help you out with that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512630.aspx About SCE: I've not got a lot of hands on with SCE. I'm sure it has a way to schedule updates, but I'm not sure exactly how. Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue. Hope it helps! Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast.
August 15th, 2011 11:06am

This link should help you out with that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512630.aspx About SCE: I've not got a lot of hands on with SCE. I'm sure it has a way to schedule updates, but I'm not sure exactly how. Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue. Hope it helps! Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast. I forgot to specify something. I see that it lets you schedule for certain days of the week. But I would like to choose specific days in a month. Is that possible?
August 15th, 2011 1:15pm

Hi Frank, But I would like to choose specific days in a month. Is that possible? I thought that you could approve the updates manually in WSUS only in the week you want to patch updates. In other weeks, computer got no updates from WSUS due to no new updates approved. Another suggestion is that you could ask your request to SCE forum. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/systemcenteressentials/threads If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. Regards, Rick Tan
August 15th, 2011 10:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics