How to restrict Data File access?

We have a situation where we need to restrict access to a sql server data file. That is, to prevent users viewing any tables, stored procedures, etc, in sql server or another tool. We are providing a our database as part of an application install to a customer's site which will run isolated on the customers network. However the application will have sql server logins and the system must still be able to execute stored procedures.

The setup unfortunately cannot be changed and we are trying to think of best implementations for this. Our customers are also working with competitors so we are very conscious about exposing our data structures to anyone outside of our company, hence trying to restrict access. If deployed to a sql instance on the customer site then they will have database administrator accounts on the server.

I can clarify any of the above if unclear. I'm very interested to hear any ideas/opinions on the topic.

Thanks.

August 23rd, 2015 11:44am

If you need to restrict a login/User from accessing data, then what is the role of that user inside that
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 1:18pm

No can do. I assume that your customer has access to the machine. If you can lock down the machine so that your customer cannot login to it (at all) and also encrypt the disk, then you might be safe. But if your customer has one windows admin for the machine, or physical access without the disk being encrypted they will be able to get tot the data. Hosting the machine for your customer would be the way to go.
August 23rd, 2015 1:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics