How to report on sessions from Remote Desktop Services
I want to run a historical report for (in)active / total sessons from a group of 2008 R2 servers.  I found that I had to import the RDS MP just to even get the terminal server\(in)active sessions counters visible in the performance view, and the metrics are being collected but I cannot figure out what object/class/counter combination to use in order to run a report from the SCOM 2012 Reporting console.  The TS 2003/2008 report templates do not work at all which were perfect from my TS 2003 farms, but now I can't get a birds eye view of a 2008 R2 RDS farm of 100 'terminal servers'.  W
February 8th, 2013 7:20pm

Hello, 

Try to create a report using Microsoft Generic Library. Add a new chart and series. Click on Add Group and add the servers for which you want to generate the reports. 

Click on browse and search for the inactive session/total session rule. Select this rule and run the report. ,

let me know if this helps!

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2013 12:05pm

Unfortunately, I've been there and done that.  However not of the 2008R2 servers that are running "Remote Desktop Services" are available when I try to search for a group/objects in the chart/series.  If I point it to a group that contains the computers in question, and use any of the "terminal services 200x" counters/performance collection rules no data shows up in the report.  It's like they aren't avaliable as Windows Computers/Servers anymore because SCOM/MS considers them as a "Remote Desktop Services Host", and the only way I can see (in)active session information is in the performance view of that management pack's folder in the monitoring pane. 

Seems to me that there is a major flaw in the RDS management pack for SCOM 2012.

February 11th, 2013 2:20pm

I assume, by the lack of responses, there's no way to do this now?
February 25th, 2013 9:15pm

Does anyone have any experience or guidance with this?  The 2003/2008 Terminal Services Reports provided in the MPs, were great for (in)Active Sessions per Day/Peak Hours, but even with a performance detail report and going after the Active Session counter, no data is provided.  It's only availble in the Performance View, if scoped for Windows RDS / Host in the MP provided dashboard.  Seems kind of unproductive to not be able to run a report on a whole TS FARM for daily session count.  Microsoft, any plans for an updated MP?

March 6th, 2013 2:36pm

BUMP - just for some guidance.  It seems that the RDS MP really needs some tuning.  Microsoft??? 
April 9th, 2013 1:36pm

BUMP - Still no real solutions for RDS???
March 20th, 2014 2:23pm

Hello!

You need to create perfomanse report with this subject: reote desktop session host and you server name

object: mp remote desktop servicices management pack- active (inactive) sessions

• Proposed as answer by Netchel 22 hours 39 minutes ago
March 6th, 2015 4:27am

Hello!

You need to create perfomanse report with this subject: reote desktop session host and you server name

object: mp remote desktop servicices management pack- active (inactive) sessions

• Proposed as answer by Netchel Friday, March 06, 2015 9:26 AM
March 6th, 2015 9:26am

Hello!

• Proposed as answer by Netchel Friday, March 06, 2015 9:26 AM
March 6th, 2015 9:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics