How to put AD phone number onto Incident Alt. Contact Method

When processing an Incident, currently we manually enter the Affected User phone number in the Alternate Contact Method field in order to save the Assigned To person from having to look up all of the end user phone numbers.  Also, we include it on the email that we send to Assigned To staff.

We are soon going to be loading the user phone numbers into Active Dirtectory which will then provide the information as part pf that Users Configuration Item.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to automatically copy the Affected User phone number from their Configuration Item record to the Alternate Contact Method field when an Incident is created.  Please note that, due to our IT policies, modifying the standard Incident Request form is not an option.  I need to accomplish this process with Workflows, Templates or other techniques.

All suggestions / ideas will be considered.

Chuck, Roy

June 9th, 2011 1:41pm

You can do this with a workflow that runs when incident is created, run a PS script that gets the property from the affected user relationship and modify the incident.  I can put together a script, but I imagine someone much better than I would post before me as I am not that great at it.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 5:27pm

Hi Chuck,

You can do as YoniB describes, but I wonder why you would like to do this? If the phone number is imported from AD into SCSM, it will be displayed in the incident header (at the label called Contact info) once you've added an affected user to the incident. So why store the same value in a second place?

Regards
//Anders

June 9th, 2011 7:41pm

Duhhhhhhhhhh.....  boy do I feel really dumb now!

I never noticed that information on the form header!

Thanks, Anders

Chuck

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2011 8:07pm

Hi,

We have our service desk users requiring to copy the phone number to paste into the dialer. The phone number is displayed in the incident header from where it cannot be copied. I was wondering if there is a way to paste it into the Alternate Contact field, it will be easier to copy-paste. Have anyone resolved this issue so far?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

August 3rd, 2015 8:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics