How to plan disaster in SQL Server?

Question on How to plan disaster in SQL Server.

I have Server A primary Server(with 20 databases,Logins, Jobs,Alerts,DBmail)where all client applications connect to AServer B act as Mirrored(all dbs in restoring Mode) with no witness(Manual Fail over) also Replication set up From Server A to Server C(subscriber).

My question is:
Should Server B have same Logins, Jobs,Alerts,DBmail and replication setup (from B to C)correct? so that when Server A goes down i manually fail over all DBS to B and B should be up and running and client connect to B and B serve applications ...

Please provide your thoughts on how u plan DR..

Thanks

August 27th, 2015 7:47pm

yes you need same logins, replication jobs on the server B.

when server A goes down your server B will become primary and able to continue.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 12:18am

Question on How to plan disaster in SQL Server.

I have Server A primary Server(with 20 databases,Logins, Jobs,Alerts,DBmail)where all client applications connect to AServer B act as Mirrored(all dbs in restoring Mode) with no witness(Manual Fail over) also Replication set up From Server A to Server C(subscriber).

My question is:
Should Server B have same Logins, Jobs,Alerts,DBmail and replication setup (from B to C)correct? so that when Server A goes down i manually fail over all DBS to B and B should be up and running and client connect to B and B serve applications ...

Please provide your thoughts on how u plan DR..

Thanks

I agree with Kumar; but, I'd sooner look at the big picture. Manual failover in a disaster can be a disaster. What if the people responsible for failover cannot be reached? How long will you be down?

Depending on the version of server you are running, you may want to consider using Database Mirroring, which is deprecated but still in SQL 2016 and probably in SQL 2018 since 2016 does not currently throw final support warnings.

If you're running Enterprise Edition with 2012 or later then Availability Groups would be a great option.

Both of these technologies offer automatic failover and there is less to keep in sync.

August 28th, 2015 12:32am

Please note mirroring is database level DR its not server level so yes as you suggested server B should have same login as server A. Consider a scenario where login A exists on server A and not on Server B and this login is used by application to connect or may be a job to perform some operation. Now when failover happens to B the application/job would start failing out.
August 28th, 2015 7:27am

Thanks Kumar
August 28th, 2015 11:32am

Thanks Daniel
August 28th, 2015 11:32am

Thanks Shanky
August 28th, 2015 11:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics